loose stool

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pepperdog

Reaction score
I need advice. My rabbit is now 2 andshe has days (every other) where her stools are loose for part of theday. The smell is very foul. When this firststarted happening I eliminated her yogurt treats and the occassionalpetromalt that I give her and only fed her her food (OXBOW) This hasnot helped her situation at all. Any body been through asimilar situation that can maybe give me some advice?Thanks:dunno:

Just like Dawn has mentioned, hay would helpalot. I would monitor the situation for about a day after introducinghay, and if the poop does not improve, it might be a good idea to makea vet appointment. Rabbit GI issues should always be a red flag thatsomething else might be going on.

What does the poo look like? Is it totally runny, or justa moist version of your bun's regular poo?

Dear Maherwoman

it is a moist version of her regular poo but a lot smaller clumpssometimes and sometimes it is all clumped together and looks like asmall dogs poo the clumped together poo is not runny just one big clumpthis is the first time I am answering a question. Hope I amreplying right

Wow what a great and informativesight. Yes the poop looks like the cecal poop. Iread some of the info and it sound s like she is not getting enoughhay.She wont eat it .my vet said take the other food away andshe'll eat it I am finally taking hisadvice. The food she eats is oxbow for adultrabbits. I do not give her anything else. I used togive her yogurt treats and petromalt once in a while for the eating ofthe fur stuff. but not anymore for the past maybe month Ihave given her her OXBOW only. She just turned 2 in January06. Thanks for your help. I will read more about itand my vet is calling me tomorrow for a consultation. I'lltake any other advice you have. Thanks again

Hey, no problem. Glad I could help! :D

Oops...that posted twice...heh heh...:D

Oh, one other thing...what kind of hay does sheeat? As in, what type, and what brand? I askbecause Maisie refuses to eat hay if it's not very fresh. Shewon't finish a bag of Kaytee Timothy Hay...I had to switch to AlfalfaKing brand Timothy Hay. It's much more fresh, and she GOBBLESit up! :)

We got it from the dreaded Petco,actually. There's one that has a LOT of products near ourplace, so we have to go there for things like grass mats andsuch. :)

We bought a 1lb bag about a week and a half ago, and it's about 2/3gone already! Whereas the Kaytee hay would still be 2/3 FULLright now. She GOBBLES each time I refill her whickerbasket!! I have to refill it about twice daily! :)

Here's a picture of it...you can find it on their website.

w2kms1.jpg

Thanks

I have a petco right around the corner and I'll pick some up today.Ispoke to peppers vet and he said he wants her to have only one Tbsp ofpellets a day and all the Timothy hay she wants.Thanks Hopefully peppers on the road to recovery.:yes:

Great! I hope she gobbles her hay like Maisie does!! Let us know how she does! :)

Hi Just wanted to let you know that Pepper isdoing great now. Her stool is back to normal and I am doingwhat the Vet recommended- 1 tablespoon of pellets and all the timothyhay she wants. She seems like she lost of few ounces but is amuch happier and energetic rabbit. Again thanks for your helpshe really loves that Alfalfa King brand you recommended.

Nancy

im very glad to hear that shes doing better now:D i dont think rabbits were meant to eat as many pellets as weoriginally all thought. it seems like most rabbits with access cecalsget better, just by reducing the amount of pellets in their diet. i'mvery glad to hear she's better!!

Latest posts

Back