Looking to add to our Family...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heat

Reaction score
Hey there Pacific Northwesterns!

I am still new to bunnies but I want to add another one to our family! I am looking for either a Lionhead or a Giant. I have heard that they are both rather docile and do well in a home environment.

Does anyone know who I might contact for a new lovely bunny? I am not looking to breed, show, or eat... just looking for another pet :biggrin:

Lol... I know the size differences are HUGE! I like both ends of the spectrum lol. I have a son (4 y/o) so maybe a smaller one would be good with him... but it is for me... and I like big (I have a 20 pound orange and white tabby)...

I have taken a look at the rescues and shelters around here, I haven't found any that have any bunnies up for adoptions, or at least any that would be good with our home (other pets and small children).

I will keep my eyes on the shelters and rescues around my area though :)

Hi,

I have both Lion Head and Flemish. With a 4 year old child, I would go Flemish. Love my Lion heads but they can be a bit skittish, plus there is a lot of grooming involved. With supevision, I think a bigger rabbit may be a better choice. But that's just my opinion. Based on temperament.

My Flemish will be 7 weeks old on Saturday and just melts when he sees us. They are truly so docile. I now know why they are called Gentle Giants.

Though I looked in the Rescue organizations for a Flemish, just nothing out there that would fit into my Tribe. So I went and researched breeders. And there are far and few between in my area for both Flemish and Lion Head. Just keep searching.

Look forward to hearing what decision you make. And please remember pics.

K

Actually, the larger breeds would be better with young children: more calm & less fragile. Or a medium sized rabbit would be good as well.

You MAY be able to find a good shelter through petfinder.com or adoptapet.com. This time of year the shelters tend to have lots of rabbits that started out as Easter Bunnies.

Agreed giant hands down over dwarf breeds. Sebi is pretty tolerant of the kids but my giant was great with them.

Thank you all for the input! A giant it is :)

I am keeping my eyes out on the rescues and adoption organizations...

Bunny and Clyde (both females I found out last night) are both doing well with my son, they are going to be medium sized rabbits I think.

New Zealands show up in shelters a lot more but are still gentle and large, so might be a good option. My NZ/FG mix was discarded when she got too big (go figure!) and after settling in is turning out to be quite the snuggler. Last night we sat together for almost an hour. She would push her head under my chin so I could give her kissies and scratch her cheeks and forehead. She can sit in my lap and put her front paws on my chest to shover her head under my chin, it's too cute. When I got her about 3 months ago she would flinch when I touched her, but she has figured out not all people are mean.

Good luck getting a big snuggle bunny!

Heat wrote:
Thank you all for the input! A giant it is :)

I am keeping my eyes out on the rescues and adoption organizations...

Bunny and Clyde (both females I found out last night) are both doing well with my son, they are going to be medium sized rabbits I think.

I know I'm going toget heck from the rescuepeople, but, oh well. For the larger bunnies,I'm finding a fast connection when they arebabies. Even my dwarfs. No baggage if you know the breeder. Just make sure when you talk to rescue groups and adoption organizations, they actually know the rabbit.Some can be just as bad as bad breeders. Just rushing them out the door.

Wishing you luck in finding your Big Bunny.

K

I honestly think it depends on the individual rabbit. Sophie was 4 when we took her in. To go from afraid of people to snuggling in 3 months is hardly a horrible long ordeal.

Karen, I'm not saying you are wrong, I just think rescued rabbits are misunderstood and there are all kinds of bad stereotypes out there that aren't true. All of my buns have been rescued. Two have such great personalities they are now therapy rabbits.

MiniLopHop wrote:
I honestly think it depends on the individual rabbit. Sophie was 4 when we took her in. To go from afraid of people to snuggling in 3 months is hardly a horrible long ordeal.

Karen, I'm not saying you are wrong, I just think rescued rabbits are misunderstood and there are all kinds of bad stereotypes out there that aren't true. All of my buns have been rescued. Two have such great personalities they are now therapy rabbits.

I don't go with bad stereotypes to manipulate others to my point of view. I understand exactly about rescues and know there are bad and good ones out there. Just like the stereotypes of breeders and show people by rescue groups. There are good and bad breeders out there too.

The OP is looking for a BIG rabbit. Flemish's can hit 20 plus pounds. With a young child, I think it's important to make sure it turns out to be a safe experience. Not a frustrating one where the bunny ends up going back. And the child is scared and might never try that awesome experience again. Getting a young rabbit, and bonding with them, I think would be a better way for this OP and his family to enjoy the experience of a big bunny.

Just my thoughts. Actually experiencing it right now with my little guy who is going to be VERY big.

K

I can definitely see where getting a baby bunny would benefit over getting an older one that has been abandoned. Especially if habits have been learned, because as with any animal or person it is hard to squash habits. But with that being said it is all about the bunny, each one will be different and will act differently even if placed in the same situations.

I know I will be avoiding pet shops (too many horror stories), and if I find one in a shelter I would have to meet it first and really grill the care givers to see how well they know the bun. I found 2 breeders for Giants and New Zealand's near me and have contacted them about pet bunnies (because I am not wanted to show or breed it). So we will see what route opens up.

I am personally fond of rescue animals, I have a 20 pound Orange and White Tabby who came from a Kitten Rescue 11 years ago. All the rest of our animals (minus the chickens and ducks) came from homes where they were either no longer wanted or circumstances lead to them needing a new home.

I am doing my research before I bring another bunny into our home. It seems like a young bun would be the safest route, but there very well could be an older cuddle bunny looking for a home that would work just as well (and would be more in need of a home). I have learned to explore options, it is the best way to actually find what you are looking for :)

I just have to share this picture of Sophie because I think it is so cute:

IMG_1393-1.gif

Another advantage of shelters is that you can find bonded pairs there. So many people get a young rabbit & want a companion, but bonding is sometimes difficult to maintain through the hormonal phases of the 2. At a shelter the bonding is already there & you know what you're getting.

Regarding bonded pairs and whatnot... my two bunnies are both sisters, 9 weeks old and are super attached. I am not planning on ever separating them, but I was told to keep an eye on them when they reach maturity because females can become aggressive towards each other.... I have heard that bucks can be aggressive towards each other, but I hadn't heard hat about the does until recently. Any insight to that one?

Either sex can become aggressive when they start going through the hormonal stages. Does become very territorial. Especially when a "false" pregnancy occurs.

It's basically boils down to the individual rabbits and how they are when they finally hit adulthood. Some never break that bond, but some do. Prepare for the worse, but hope for the best. Hoping that bond never breaks for your girls.

K

Thanks for all of the insight! I am keeping a close eye on them (have confirmed they are girls) and hoping for the best. But only time will tell.

Last weekend I found the newest member of our family... Meet Athena... a Flemish Giant/American Chinchilla cross.

042.jpg

030.jpg

Athena, Bunny, and Clyde. They love laying together and grooming each other. Athena is about a week younger than the other two lol. They will all three come running [hopping] up to me and nudge against my hand for forehead rubs. They will sit super still until I stop for a prolonger period of time [I have to alternate between the three of them, but they patiently wait until it is their turn again].:pet:

Athena has however figured out how to get out of their cage and she decimated my 2 year old Anaheim pepper plant and the clover that adorned the soil of the same pot {sad day}. But she at least went back to the cage area {she couldn't get back in} to potty instead of pottying in the living room.

Oy! I love my bunnies though :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back