Looking into getting my bunnies neutered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuellaJean

Reaction score
Okay, I contacted my local rabbit rescue and asked for a recommendation for a rabbit vet. I called their office and the quote I got for an exam, neuter, injectable anesthesia and metacam injection (?) is $220 per bunny.

:thud:

I am going to see if I can get another quote in my area, but can y'all tell me what costs you have seen?

Also, whats metacam?

Luella

Metacam is an Anti Inflamitory/Pain Killer, it's an NSAID
Non Steroidal Anti Inflamitory Drug. Its marketed for dogs but its used in just about every animal.

that price is more then the expensive neuters here which use the laser. A rabbit NEUTER with the laser - This includes the pre surgical full exam, pain meds for the day (metacam injection), all the pre meds, the anesthetic for the surgery (weather they use Propofol or just mask the bun down) then the IsoFlurane to maintain them, and the procedure itself done with the laser - $180

I really prefer laser surgery vs scalpel. Theres less swelling, less bleeding, smaller incision, faster healing time, it doesn't crush the tissue as it cuts like a scalpel would so less bruising, oh jeeze the list of benefits goes on.

However, the laser costs about as much as a new car (which is why those procedures cost more then a normal spay/neuter) so its not a very common item to find in most vet clinics, vets would rather invest in digital x-ray and other fun toys before a laser, because they can still do surgery with the scalpel.

Another thing you can ask is how they do the sutures. Vets know how to do internal sutures so not a single stitch is visible on the outside of the animal and with disolveable suture material, you dont have to go back in with your bun and stress them out just to get them removed.

A run of the mill spay/neuter is about $80 here...
Jeeze whatever happened to everything being cheaper down there... We go down to washington all the time to shop because everythings so much cheaper and the further south you go... the cheaper everything gets (especially houses... Grrr)
Probably just be cheaper to fly the bun to canada for the surgery lol

I've found a couple other vets online in my area that might see rabbits. I'm worried about them becoming aggressive towards me or each other if I don't neuter them though! How old are buns when they go into puberty (or whatever it's called for buns, lol)?

It really depends on the species of rabbit. Much younger for the little guys I believe, and older for the big guys ( but i have no experience with big buns) Typically you get a smaller bun fixed around 4-5 months because this is when they hit puberty, most people prefer 6 as usually their done most of their growing at this age. But as for when those urges kick in, well My little boy has only turned 3 months and poor little Lily is his little "toy". But I have faith that shes not quite old enough to get knocked up so when she hits a weight I'm comfortable with, her bits are coming out the same time I get Loki's whacked off.

YAY! I found a vet clinic thats an hour away (outside of the city & suburbs!) that 3 of my coworkers go to that will do a neuter for $85- including staying overnight and meds and all! I'm so relieved!

That's a good price. I found a spay/neuter clinic by me that does it for the same price. The vets around here charge between $250-$300 which is just too much. But the girl at the clinic told me that the price of the anethesia has double since she started working there. So that is the reason the prices of spay/neuters has gone up so much.

I work at an oral surgery office and we use the same drugs on people that vets use on animals and yes they are expensive but we recently figure out how much it costs our office in materials for an IV sedation- including medications, IV bag, line, oxygen tubing, tape, gauze, everything! And it was less than $11 per patient. And you can't tell me it takes more meds for a tiny little rabbit than it does on an adult human! What we're paying for is their staff and malpractice insurance!!!!

I payed $350 for Becky's spay. That included pre-op blood work, pain meds, etc. They use the laser and there were no stitches sticking out for the bun to chew or need removing.

She still has a little bald patch on her belly, but otherwise there is no scar. How long does it take for the fur to come back? It has been almost 6 months now and she has just a little peach fuzz.

I paid $350 to get my boy neutered (it was $400 after bloodwork though).

The same vet offers the service at a discount to the shelter, but even after a discount it's still $250.

Depending on where you live, they can be very expensive!

LuellaJean wrote:
I work at an oral surgery office and we use the same drugs on people that vets use on animals and yes they are expensive but we recently figure out how much it costs our office in materials for an IV sedation- including medications, IV bag, line, oxygen tubing, tape, gauze, everything! And it was less than $11 per patient. And you can't tell me it takes more meds for a tiny little rabbit than it does on an adult human! What we're paying for is their staff and malpractice insurance!!!!
What?! Boy that just makes me mad! Especially since neutering is so important for many types of pets for a number of reasons. I mean just for the overpopulation issue alone they need to make it affordable. :grumpy:

I paid $268 for Amelia's spay, $80 for the check up and about $20 for the medication, so about $370 total.
I am not sure what my vet charges for neuters.
I do live in a large city and vet costs tend to be a bit more expensive. I do trust the vet and I would rather pay a bit more than worry about how my rabbits are being treated (I worry anyway, but I feel much better about it).

Wow and I thought $220 was bad! I'm glad I found the vet that does them for $85, since I have 2 of them there's no way I could afford over $300 each to get them neutered.

Latest posts

Back