Looking into getting another bunny.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cloud_the_bunny

Reaction score
I was looking into getting another bunny after I move. The home owner won't allow me to have 2. I currently have a Dutch bunny and I have absolutely fallen in love with her, she is pretty much my 3rd child. :) I was thinking a flemish giant. I have questions though. Will a flemish giant be a good pet. Will it get along with my Dutch fine, or should I consider a smaller breed? I know they a big bunnies and I have no problem with that. I plan on letting my bunnies roam my house free when I move. What about at night though? I let Cloud out of her house when I'm home and put her back for bed time. Will a flemish giant be fine to leave out at night? I just want to make sure I have all the necessary items for one. Thanks in advance! 😊

"Oh great crystal ball........." Can't really answer your questions as each bunny is different. Can only be answered by direct observation. None of ours are bonded so they are out singly, and one gets the run of the "room" all night as our room is at the other end of the house--some do get pretty noisy! I haven't heard any knock on the Flemish breed--they are supposed to be pretty docile. We have a Checkered Giant that is wonderful with us, but not one to be out with any of our other bunnies--not just because she's 3 times as big, but she's shown she'd be aggressive and I don't really feel like getting bitten anymore trying to bond anyone.

Okay. Thanks for you you comments on the subject. I'll do some more research on them. Noise is not a problem for me, I have two very rowdy little boys and I work at a daycare with a bunch of loud rowdy children. Lol. But again thank you. 😊

Each bun has their own personality. Some buns just do not get along so you want to make sure you are willing to have two buns living singly if you cannot bond them.

I myself would not leave a bun out all night unless I knew the room was completely bun safe but only because mine have taught me that out of the blue they will do some things completely unexpected. When I had just my Flemish I would let him out all day and only put him in his cage when we would go to sleep. I also think having a cage even if you don't really use it for anything but holding a litter box, food and water is a good idea. What would happen in an emergency and you could not be home for an extended period and maybe could only get someone to come in to feed your bun? I'm a worrier though and many years with children as I'm sure you have learned has taught me to think ahead.

I don't see why you could not bond a larger bun with a smaller one. There are members here that have. Granted if the buns will not bond and really have it in for each other than a smaller one could be at a disadvantage but you should be able to determine if real fighting will take place in the beginning stages of the bonding process and be there to stop any fight.

I do absolutely adore my flemmish. He is so laid back and calm. He loves attention and does not get spooked easily. If all rabbits were like him I would probably have way too many.

Yea, when I do get another one I plan on being in a different house because like I said the home owner won't allow another one. I was planning on doing a room in the basement for them to run free in and I would obviously bunny proof it. And then when I'm home they would run free. Also I did think about them not bonding together well and having to have them seperate, which I'm okay with also. I'd still love them both just the same as I love my kids. I just was trying to get as much advise as possible before getting one so I had time to prepare a space and get all necessary item for said bunny. When I got my Dutch, it was not planned at all. The next bun I get I want to be prepared before arriving at my house with it. Thanks for all advise and I'll keep my research up. 😊🐰👌

Latest posts

Back