Looking into adopting. What should I consider?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HayHey0248

BunMum
Reaction score
Hello everyone :sunshine:
So I am currently in the process of creating new housing for my rabbit, for both indoors and outdoors. These will be much bigger areas then i currently have for my bun Rocky. Im pretty excited its underway! So with this new space that will soon be ready i was looking into getting another rabbit. Right now i only have Rocky, a male, 2yr old, Mini Rex. I definatly want to adopt and have been looking at places such as PetRescue.com and WASAR (Western Australian Small Animal Rescue) He's never had a rabbit friend to live with since i got him, but i feel a companion would be good for him.
What aspect should i consider before rescuing? Since hes a male i will more than likely look for a female friend. Should i look for a rabbit quite close to his age, or is it possible to go a little older or younger? Is there anything else i should consider?

You can certainly go older or younger, though keep in mind if you go too much older there will likely be a larger separation of time between one getting old and passing away before the other. Male/female bonds do have a tendency to work better, do you know if either of those rescues offer bunny dates? Not all rabbits will get along and it will help if Rocky can meet the other rabbit before you bring them home so you have at least some idea of whether the two will tolerate each other or not. Otherwise, sometimes rescues allow you to take an animal home and if they don't get along you can bring them back and try another one (writing it like that makes it sound bad, but if you're choosing for Rocky and not yourself it's important to get the match right).

Also, Rocky is neutered right? You'll want to make sure the female you adopt also is (most are from rescues though) as females can be territorial

Hi :)

Yes Rocky is neutered. I dont think they offer bunny dates, but i'll have to contact either SAFE or WASAR for those details as i think it depends, plus they will have to be located near me which i doubt they will. :thud:
I might have to limit my choices to just adoptions in Perth or closer as i live in the country. (~6hrs away from perth) and i dont want to have a bunny travel so far. Im not exactly sure where WASAR is located though as it was only established this year. I'll email them tomorrow :).

I would love for Rocky to find the perfect mate, but since such places would be more than 3 hours away im not sure if it would be possible to 'test' out. :/ Thats a problem...

Oh and yes, all rabbits they offer have been vaccinated, neutered, etc. Heres an example: http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/253985

I suppose the best thing you can do then is provide them with as much detail as you can about Rocky's personality so that they can find a rabbit that will match up in that regard. Hopefully there's some bunnies near you :)

Yeah. Oh i found out with WASAR you have the bunny on a two week trial, then they check back with you to see how its going and if they dont get along then they will take them back. So i think im happy with that :)

Back