Looking for info on scabies in rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
Hellos :)

Zeus and Barnaby are both as healthy as ever, this post isn't about them!

I was just wondering about how vets normally treat scabies (sarcoptic mange) in rabbits. I know someone who had two rabbits, she took them to the vet because one of them was loosing fur on its nose. Saposidly the vet diagnosed them with sarcoptic mange, and said that because it was a bad case, the rabbits were both put to sleep. This seemed very odd to me, especially since the owner told me that the rabbits seemed healthy otherwise. I know that when dogs, or even humans, get scabies there are treatments for it. What about with rabbits?

It just seemed really strange and unfortunate to me that both rabbits were but down because of something that I would guess would be treatable - unless I'm wrong and for some reason it can't be treated in rabbits??

I believe they are treated with 3 ivermectin injections one a week for 3 weeks. I don't know why a vet would put down healthy rabbitswith mange unless he didn't know whow to treat them! Thats really sad.:(

Latest posts

Back