Looking for efficiency

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

memakwed

Reaction score
We have 13 buns. We rescued a litter and my son is in 4-H and does rabbitry. We're always looking for efficiency in ways to keep everyone clean and exercised. We do not breed and everyone has their own cage for their needs as well as to 100% prevent breeding. Our rescues tend to use plastic cages due to sore hock issues while everyone else has a metal cage. Our lion heads have hair everywhere right now, while the rex that molt at least is more contained and not so fly away. We have play yards for exercise or 1 at a time can come in the living room and kitchen and have free reign during the day. What are some ways you are efficient when it comes to cleaning or exercising? Just trying to find ways to maximize their out of cage time and to keep cleaning quick and easy.

What I have actually found to make things more simple and efficient, is to spay/neuter and bond rabbits into compatible groups. which you then keep in a large pen instead of individual cages. The larger the group, the easier it seems to be(though the bonding itself is difficult and can be a pain in the butt :)) It's much easier and faster to clean out one big litter box and feed a group of rabbits, than feed and clean each individual one. Also makes play and exercise easier, as you aren't having to do it for each individual rabbit and can just put the group out.

Don't know if this is possible for you or something you would be interested in, but it is what has worked best for me. And the benefit is that if matched up with the right companion(s), being bonded can make rabbits happier and more content.

Yes we have a few that are bonded and altered so they can live together but due to his project work and judging those project rabbits need to be unaltered which means separate cages. We are lucky in that my husband and I both own our own businesses someone is home at all times so there is always a bun that can be out. I don't know how others would do it if they were at work all day.

I find that having set days to clean helps. I do them all twice a week. You could try doing a few a day so everyone gets cleaned a couple times a week (more if needed), without having to spend a ton of time at once. Your son would be ideally responsible for cleaning his rabbits, but it still helps to be on a schedule. If you do a couple a day, make sure to keep track of who gets cleaned when.

A schedule for exercise can also work. You can make a list of all the rabbits and mark when they get exercise. This would help make sure they all get out and not have one get out a lot and another not get out much. It can also help if you can have a few out at a time (separate areas if needed). A timer to show how long they have been out may help too.

Thanks for the schedule idea for the exercise. My son is responsible for the cleaning in summer and on school breaks but during the school year I clean them after he is on the bus. It is a lot of responsibility for someone his age and it can take him forever but I have learned to let him be so it's enjoyable for us both. When I come across something really efficient I share it with him. Some times he agrees other times it's just not in his plan. We've tried different cage styles over the years and I still can't find that perfect one. All have pros and cons even when my husband will build a new hutch or cage system there's always something to improve on. We do a huge clean of everyone once a week to coincide with the garbage collection for the week. Then it becomes as needed for everyone because some are litter trained and the pans need emptying every day or so while others have droppings that fall into a tray which can go a little longer and others that have health needs and plastic bottom trays that need the most effort for their health.
Keep those ideas coming.

Latest posts

Back