Looking for Advice/Opinions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepSeaGoddess

Reaction score
My bunny Lucy twice this year has had an issue where her appetite decreases, she stops eating, heading into stasis. Each time I'd gotten her to vet where we put her on pain meds, I had to forcefeed critical care for part of a day, and she would eventually be back to her normal self. This happened in the spring and then it happened earlier this month. The vet I took her too last time did a thorough exam with x-rays (no blockages or other abnormalities), full bloodwork (calcium level was a bit high but they weren't too concerned. They were suspecting higher calcium veggies I had been feeding (ie spinach leaves, etc.). I've since stopped any veggies high in calcium), they looked at her teeth, etc. A couple of her teeth were a bit pointy. They were leaning towards that but not 100% sure because each time she snaps out of it and is back to normal. Before they risk anesthesia to go in and file the teeth, they have suggested I see a VERY well-know specialty center in Fairfax, VA, SEAVS. They feel like there they could get a better opinion as to what is going on and causing this.

Her diet is mostly timothy gold hay from American pet diner with veggies once a day, very small amount of pellets and treats are very limited. She eats a lot of hay, and she also does a lot of chewing on these organic apple sticks I get from farmerdave on ebay. So, if her teeth aren't wearing, I find it hard to believe it is because she's not having the opportunity to wear them down naturally.

She's pretty much acting normal now except maybe not drinking as much water on her own as normal. I put a significant amount on her veggies every day to hopefully compensate.

Anyway, Fairfax is approximately and hour and a half from home. I have an appt for Saturday but, must admit I'm very worried about the stress of the car ride up/back, the time at the vet, etc. So, looking for opinions, should I keep the appt since she's acting normal? Also, any ideas on how to keep the stress down while taking her there/back if I do? My boyfriend is going with me and driving so I can tend to her as needed in the car but, she really stresses when she's taken out to the vet, etc. Sorry this is long...Thank you in advance!

I would think that because the stasis is so random, that it would more likely be caused by a random occurrence and not an underlying health problem. Have you ruled out a foreign object being ingested, a new food, molting, or stress as being the cause? One of my rabbits has gone off of her food a couple times in the last few months, but was better after a few hours and a couple doses of simethicone. There weren't any changes in her diet or environment, and she couldn't have ingested a foreign object, so the best I could narrow it down to was a weed in her hay causing an upset stomach. I would think that if the stasis was being driven by a health problem, that it would last longer and occur more frequently. Though a health problem causing it, is always a possibility. If you feel like there is something else going on with your bun, then of course, it's best to have it investigated.

Back