Looking for a Rabbit Veterinarian

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AND ME AND ME!! I installed my printer, andprinted those up-armed with those questions, and finding a reputablevet from a previous site posted on here I am quite looking forward tomy girls going in after their release from "home quarantine" 2days!!! woohoo

er, just don't tell them how happy I am that they are about to see the vet for the BIG ONE..

Cher

Could anyone possibly tell me the best (maybe top5) questions to ask the vet about getting your rabbit neutered....notspayed, questions specifically about males being neuetered....

get around to it when you have the time! Thank you!

-Vanessa

bumping this up again, cause this thread movesfaster than a mac truck on the highway!!...and also b/c I'm stilllooking for an answer to my previous post....

If the vet says that a rabbit needs to fast before surgery, that's a big red flag - they're not rabbit savvy.

Also, ask what type of anesthetic they use (I'd personally recommend gas over an injectable like ketamine).

Ok, I'm going in to the vet on March 31st to askher questions about neutering Cosmo. I have finally compiledmy list of questions, and I came up with 7. Here it is:

1. Does he have to fast before surgery? (If she says yes, I'll know I have to find another vet)

2. Willhe be able to come home with me that day? (answer should be yes)

3. Will you be using isoflourane gas? (hopefully!)

4. Do you make theincision through the abdomen or the scrotum? (scrotum is less traumatizing)

5. Will you be monitoring his pulse/respiration during surgery? Will an anesthesiologist be present?

6. Will you be using dissolvable stitches and/or the glue that prevents them from pulling out the stitches? (hopefully!)

7. Will you be prescribing antibiotics/pain killers? Whatkinds? (I have a list of good and bad antibiotics and painkillers)

Ok, I think I'm ready!!

-Vanessa

I'm going in this friday to ask the vet thesequestions from my previous post. I'm just nervous that she'llfeel threatened by all these questions, you know what I mean?Like, what right do I have to question her abilities as avet? She's a really sweet lady, but I'm afraid it will tickher off to be questioned like that...

-Vanessa

It shouldn't. I can imagine no good reasonwhy a decent vet would feel threatened by some honest questions. Ifthey're not entirely forthcoming, then I would have a very hard timetrusting them. I'm a wee bit opinionated on the matter, but I'vehad more than my fair share of experience with human and animaldoctors, and reluctance to disclose is a big red flag, in my mind.

I knew I'd found a great veterinarian for our kitties, because when Icalled with a similar list of questions, before I could even get thefirst few out the receptionist said, "Let me tell you what theprocedure is like...". And then detailed how they performedspay/neuters at their hospital. I was very encouraged, because therereally isn't any reason for a vet not to want you to be informed.

Carolyn,

Are these questions posted on the cheat sheet? I know that I am going to be trying to reference them again!

Melissa

Latest posts

Back