Look out ledge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavenlyshelties

Reaction score
I went out and bought a ledge for miffy's cage. It's one of those clip on ledges she can hop on to to see outof the cage better since she loves watching the kids play.

She doesn't seem interested in it though and kind of scared of it. I put it down low to start with so it wouldn't seem so high, is this something they learn to like, or either they immediatley take to it or not?

After her little scare today I don't want to bother her to much and give her time to rest so maybe tomorrow I'll try coaxing her on it - depending on your suggestions on what to do with it?

It's a wide ledge, it's as big as 1/4th of her cage.

Sara

Just give it time, probably she's still a bit shooken up about today. She could also be kind of sore from being dropped?It took a day or two to have Pepsi use the ramp in her cage, so she stayedon the bottem part of her cage until she learned how to use her new favourite thing (She LOVES going up and down the ramp). Maybe try putting a treat or two on the ledge to help bribeher to try the new addition to her cage?

The second night I got Pebbles, she was jumping on boxes and on my bed, so it just takes a bit of getting used to on Miffy's part :).

I put a ledge in Basils cage once and he was definitely not interested. I think it depends on the bun.

I would wait a few days, like you said, to give her time to feel better after yesterdays incident. You can try putting a little treat up there and maybe she will investigate.

Good Luck!

Haley

It took Loki a couple weeks to learn how to use his shelf. Just let it be for a while, and then if she's still not going up try putting a toy or small treat up there.

With Loki, after several weeks we just picked him up and put him up there. He tends to be scared of heights and we knew that he doesn't normally jump on things that he hasn't been picked up and put on before. We also waited to make sure that he actually had enough muscles to get up and down because when we adopted him, his muscle tone was so poor that he couldn't hop right. After that he loved it!

Also, maybe it's a little small for her? This is one of those things from the pet store, right? They don't have much room for rabbits to jump up and move around. If she doesn't like this one even after a while you could build her something bigger. My rabbits love their shelves and I definately think it's something good to give them.

When I have to introduce something new I usually place it in the area that the rabbit plays in. That way then can go over to it on their own, check it out and get used to it as well. I do that so once you place it in their cage they know it wont hurt them and wont be so scared of it. When getting a rabbit to use a shelf start out really low (if you can) so they can get used to jumping off and on. I sadly learned the hard way and gave a 12 week old rabbit a high shelf too quickly and had a horrible accident with it. I have two rabbits right now that have shelves and they LOVE them, it just takes time getting used to them :)

~Amy

Latest posts

Back