Longhair babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thumpingBerry

Reaction score
In a litter of mixed longhair and shorter hair babies, at what age can you tell whether or not they will be longhairs?

Mom #1 is an English Angora, English Lop mix, or so I was told. She has softish fur that may be a little over an inch, but definitely a shorthair type.

Mom #2 is a Fuzzy Lop.

Dad is a lionhead lop, which came from the same pet store as a fuzzy lionhead lop and believed to be in the same shipment (although the fuzzy lionhead lop was originally purchased from someone else). In other words, he may carry longhair (that is, assuming the long hair is genetically the same across the longhair breeds).

Both moms had babies on 6/22. [I guess I should say these litters probably should not have been bred, but they were. "Rabbit baby fever" struck and the deeds were done.

Mom #1 had 8 surviving babies, mom #2 had two surviving babies.

Mom #1 definitely has some lionhead babies, but no definite longhairs.

Mom #2 has a really fuzzy looking baby which is pictured (picture was taken a couple of days ago). His sister doesn't have as long as fur. These babies are a bit smaller than the other litter.

I guess my questions are 1) does the pictured baby look like a longhair? and 2) should I be able to determine longhair versus shorthair at this time? I know "time will tell" ... but just wanting to get opinions/experience on this.

fuzzylopbaby071616a.jpg

Here is one of his half sisters (from mom #1) as a comparison (picture taken yesterday). She's definitely going to have the lionhead mane. Her fur is fluffy but don't think it is as long as his and it may be due to her being a lionhead as I know they are fluffier as babies.

patti-babies-071816a2.jpg

patti-babies-071816a.jpg

Latest posts

Back