Long Haired Rabbits and keeping cage clean

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blabauve

Reaction score
This may be impossible, but I thought I'd ask. I have a 1 year old English Angora, of course he is quite the fuzzy thing. When he sits in his litter box eating hay he also gets covered in it and then tracks it everywhere. Any possible way to avoid this or help with this? I'm constantly having to clean up his cage and the room he tracks it all over.

Thanks!

I use a grate over the litter box. This prevents my rabbits from sitting in the litter and keeps the litter out of the fur. Hay is in hay racks that sit in the box and are a bit above it. This way most of the hay mess is contained to the litter box which makes it easy to clean. I use fleece in the rest of the cage, so there is nothing to stick to the furry buns.

You can try trimming the bum area and the feet so there is less wool for stuff to get stuck in. Also keeping the tummy short helps. If you are going to show him, then you could keep some areas shorter when you are not showing and grow them out when you plan to attend a show.

Keep him well groomed. Blow out the coat several times a week as this will get the hay and other stuff out of the coat and help prevent mats from forming.

You really just need to keep the cage clean. Set up the cage so you can easily sweep up the hay and poops every day. I use foam puzzle mats in Lillian's cage and that makes cleaning much easier, I just need to sweep the vacuum the little bits and wipe it down.

Thanks for the tips! I've been training him to use the litter-box so I've just been throwing the hay in there - a hay rack would be good! The litter-box does have a grate, although it's not the best one because poop can't fall through it. It's not really the poop that creates the mess, just hay. I may try giving him a sanitary and foot trim. I also need to make the door bigger so I can sweep in there easier.

Latest posts

Back