Loner or Playmate?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffys_mommy

Reaction score
I'm considering adopting a bunny from the humanesociety. Do bun's like having a playmate? Do they thrive better? I wentinto the humane society and they had 3 buns in there and it was themost adorable site I've ever seen. The buns were all stretched out,literally hugging each other, sleeping. It was so precious!

I have 6 bunnies and I thought I'd share what I've observed from them.

Tiny is my flemish giant. He plays with the other bunnies andthey climb all over him sometimes - BUT - he is more of aloner. He will often go off to my closet and lay there aloneall day.

Tio & Kyo are littermates and they were inseperable until theirhormones hit (both bucks). Kyo hangs out with Tiny....and Tiohas a different playtime because he causes fights. They justgot neutered and I'm waiting for the hormones to die down to see ifthey can play together. Kyo likes the lionheads and will hangout with them also...but he doesn't "need" to have his littermate orTiny - he just enjoys being with Tiny to nap sometimes. Whenhe plays and binkies - he normally does so on his own.

My lionheads are SugarBear and GingerSpice. Ginger is femaleand Sugar is male. They hang out together about 90% of thetime and they share a cage (which will change soon as they are gettingolder). I can not imagine them not hanging out together -they just seem to like to have someone else to interact with (besidesmom).

My final rabbit is a Holland Lop named Puck. Puck ishilarious - he loves the other rabbits and hanging out with them - buthe loves to go exploring on his own. Although he's theyoungest of the bunch - he is fearless...he even tried to attack thevaccum cleaner while Art was using it (and then proceeded to chew onArt's pant legs while Art vacuumed up pellets).

My point is this - each rabbit is different and it isn't necessairilybreed (that I know of for sure). Some rabbits "want"others....others, like Tiny, "tolerate" others. It is amatter of what is best for the particular rabbit(s) that you want toadopt.

Since getting my bunnies, I can't imagine a one-rabbit home.Mine all love interacting with each other. I was afraid thatthe more I added - the less they would want to be around mom - but thetruth has become that the more I've added - the more they want to comehang out with mom.

I'm fortunate in the fact that I'm home all day and don't have a lot ofresponsibilities like young children or outside events. So, Ican spend a couple of hours on the floor with the bunnies and let themcrawl all over me if they want....and I have the time to clean theircage, etc.

With all that said, my best advice is to read about the various breedson the internet, take the time to interact and handle the bunny orbunnies you're considering and ask yourself how much time,energy& money you have for your pet(s).

Peg

:DI am fortunate enough to be homeapprox. 20 hours a day! I have all the time in the world for thebunny........and my 4 yr. old daughter....oh yeah, hubby too ;). I havea dutch and was thinking of getting a New Zealand. There's one foradoption at a bunny rescue a couple miles from my home..... Thanks foryour input Peg.

Jennifer

Latest posts

Back