Lonely Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chip and Dip

Reaction score
Hello, I have unfortunately just lost my 7 year old rabbit to a heart attack (assumed from freight according to my vet). He left behind a significantly younger rabbit and I am at a loss of what I should do for him.
I'm unsure if I should be getting him another friend as I don't want a slew of rabbits however I desperately want him to lead a good life.
He is desexed so I can get a female if they bond together well, though I am very reluctant to de-sex a female as I just lost my female guinea pig due to complications from the surgery.
Any and all advice people can provide would be greatly appreciated as I'm at a loss.

Hi, sorry to hear about your loss, I would suggest to google local rescues to see rabbits they have for adoption, they usually have all photo and information about age/habits on their website. Their rabbits are usually already fixed and they also practice dating to see if your rabbits like each other so you can choose a few from their site and contact them explain your situation and visit them.

Hi, sorry to hear about your loss, I would suggest to google local rescues to see rabbits they have for adoption, they usually have all photo and information about age/habits on their website. Their rabbits are usually already fixed and they also practice dating to see if your rabbits like each other so you can choose a few from their site and contact them explain your situation and visit them.
I really like this suggestions and think normally it's 100% the way to go. But unfortunately the only rescue I have found near me has stopped their services with small animals due to inadequate space.
So the only place I will be able to get a rabbit is at the pet store.
Should I still be looking into a new rabbit??
There seems to be so much information that conflicts on the internet and it's so confusing hahah

Sure, why not, you can also check your local advertisement boards if you have online sometime people rehoming their rabbits and you can find a fixed female there. Of course you can just get a baby from a petshop only that will take more time perhaps as you will have to wait until she can be spayed at 4,5-6 months and 4-6 weeks after that so she can calm down and after that you can try bonding them.
I would say it's a matter on luck, I know sometimes neutered male can be easily bonded to an intact female, if you bring her home she's 8 week old they will be fine until her hormonal time but maybe you will fix her quickly before she starts acting as teenager.

So your better option would be already fixed female, or at least 6+ months old so you can fix her immediately and wait only 4-6 weeks and start bonding. They rarely have adults in pet stores, mostly babies 8 week old.

I've recently bonded neutered 8 months old male to unfixed 8 months old female, they are together a bit over 2 months now and doing great together, but since yesterday she started humping him probably it's just springtime, they are both no aggression but I don't think he likes it, I will watch them closely I don't want to separate them as they love each other always together and groom each other. But if he gets annoyed they can start fighting I don't want that for sure. Hopefully she'll stop that soon.

Last edited:
Sure, why not, you can also check your local advertisement boards if you have online sometime people rehoming their rabbits and you can find a fixed female there. Of course you can just get a baby from a petshop only that will take more time perhaps as you will have to wait until she can be spayed at 4,5-6 months and 4-6 weeks after that so she can calm down and after that you can try bonding them.
I would say it's a matter on luck, I know sometimes neutered male can be easily bonded to an intact female, if you bring her home she's 8 week old they will be fine until her hormonal time but maybe you will fix her quickly before she starts acting as teenager.

So your better option would be already fixed female, or at least 6+ months old so you can fix her immediately and wait only 4-6 weeks and start bonding. They rarely have adults in pet stores, mostly babies 8 week old.

I've recently bonded neutered 8 months old male to unfixed 8 months old female, they are together a bit over 2 months now and doing great together, but since yesterday she started humping him probably it's just springtime, they are both no aggression but I don't think he likes it, I will watch them closely I don't want to separate them as they love each other always together and groom each other. But if he gets annoyed they can start fighting I don't want that for sure. Hopefully she'll stop that soon.
Thank you for all your help, I really do appreciate it! :)
I'll definitely have a hunt around for a desexed female, with any luck!
Wishing you the best with your hormonal bunny, they can get so wild hahah

Back