Lonely Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dm21

Reaction score
Hello,

You may have been reading the thread about our sick little bunny Bonnie who sadly died on Tuesday night, I thought I would ask your advice on what to do about Biggles.

I think he is quite lonely especially as we are out working all day and can only spend time with him at night. I don't think he is depressed or anything but just seems to sit in his bed most of the time unless we take him out. The thought of getting another rabbit so soon after Bonnies death breaks my heart as I don't want to replace her :(but is that fair on Biggles who has had a best friend for the last 6 months and now has no one???

Has anyone else been in this position? What should I do?

Thanks

Debs and Biggles xx

How is Biggles doing? When my Lenci died, Iszy was terribley depressed and stopped eating. Please watch Biggles closely. They get depressed and feel loss too. I don't mean this in a callous way, but did you show Biggles Bonnie's body?

He is doing okay, he is eatingno botherand when we're in the room orwe take himthru to where we are he has a good wonder and climb about but as soon as we leave he goes up to his bed.

When Bonnie became ill he wouldn't go near her at all and whenever he saw her he would try and attack her so they were kept in completely different room for over a week. I think if they were together right up until she died he would be a lost worse. No I never thought of showing him her body as he hated being around her in the end. Should I have??

Debs and Biggles x

dm21 wrote:
When Bonnie became ill he wouldn't go near her at all and whenever he saw her he would try and attack her so they were kept in completely different room for over a week. I think if they were together right up until she died he would be a lost worse. No I never thought of showing him her body as he hated being around her in the end. Should I have??

Debs and Biggles x
It sounds like Biggles knew. Nothing you should be worried about. They say that an animal needs to see the body of its companion so that it doesn't feel abandoned. Don't worry. I didn't do this when Lenci died and Iszy is just fine. It sounds like Biggles is doing good. :)

A new companion is definitely an idea. You have to go into it knowing that there is a chance that the two may not get along though. I mean, successful bonding is never a guarantee. Do you have another rabbit in mind?

Hi Debs.

I'm so sorry aboutBonnie's crossing :(

Prayers and good thoughts are sent your way.

~Jim

I think he knew from the start she wasn't going to get better. If only he could have told us!!

I think we would get a rescue bunny as a friend for him as we would be saving a bunnys life and that gives us a chance to see who he will bond with easiest before we commit and we would get a girl which has already been spayed, couldn't go thru that again :(

We don't have one in mind yet as I don't think I could face looking for another bun yet but if it's going to make Biggies happier I will do it.:( He's a very angry bun just now, he turned angry when Bonnie first got ill and hasn't gone back to his usual self yet.

Debs and Biggles x

dm21 wrote:
I think we would get a rescue bunny as a friend for him as we would be saving a bunnys life and that gives us a chance to see who he will bond with easiest before we commit and we would get a girl which has already been spayed, couldn't go thru that again :(
Good for you!!! Bless your heart. I think you should go for it!! :elephant:

Debs, don't feel like you have to rush. Take some time to sort out your feelings and watch how Biggles acts. You'll know when you're ready for another bun, and then you can find a shelter bun that Biggles likes. I'm so glad you're thinking of rescuing!

May I ask what state you're from? We have a few rabbits in our shelter in La Crosse.

You might want to give Biggles some time before considering getting another bunnie. And, as Lissa mentioned, there's no way of knowing if the two buns will bond or not.

I alwaysrecommend a rescue/shelter bunnie, but they're not always the best for bonding. Their pasts are sometimes a mystery and can be a factor in their socialization skills and personality.

We rescued S'more from a shelter. She was brought in with her litter of kits after her owner died. We also took one of her babies. At first, S'more was very anti-social and afteralmost two years I'm the only one she lets near her. Her baby is also very shy and introverted. I can only imagine what was going through their minds when they were taken from their home and owner, and dropped off at the shelter. They both seem interested in the other bunnies, but want nothing to do with bonding with them.

Tootsie was resuced from the same shelter after her college-student-owner brought her in. Toostie is a very outgoing and affectionate bunnie. She loves pets & cuddles. She kissed my face so much the other night that my cheek was wet. She also seems interested in the other bunnies, but any bonding attempts have ended in near-fights. Binkie tries so hard to be her friend, but Tootsie always tries to scratch or bite her through the x-pen. No more bonding attempts for Tootsie.

Rosie-roo Joneswas dumped at a gas station in the middle of winter, with some of her bunnie friends. Need I say more? Makes you wonder about people, huh?!? If someone (Buck & The Missus) hadn't saved her...she'd probably be dead now. There was a huge snowstorm the night of her rescue, and her and her friend would probably not have survived it. She a sweet little bun, but is quite skittish. No desire to bond from this one either.

Sooooo....ya never know.

~Jim

I need to add that the only reason we rushed into getting Pristine after Lenci died was because Iszy was not eating. The minute we brought Pristine home Iszy started eating. It was very miraculous. But like Jim said, there is no rush. Be sure that you want another bunny before going forward with it. :)

Latest posts

Back