Lola's been poorly now has a bloated tummy?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahsop

Reaction score
:( Lola is sick. Her babies are almost 5 weeks now and the vet has recommended that she is removed from them. She has a chest infection which in turn has meant that she hasn't wanted to eat which means she is now full of gas.....

Do you think the babies will be ok? They are all eating pellets and hey now and drinking water ok............ vet said definatly not tonight but maybe she could go back to them tomorrow...

Back to the vet in the morning. I am giving her liquid food every hour and she has a special powdered bacteria in her water.

Gutted, worried........so soon after Lucy died its so unfair.

sarah x

Poor Lola :(

It seems like the babies would be okay without their mom for a little while as long as they're eating pellets and hay and drinking, but I haven't had babies that young, so I don't really know. :? I'm sure one of the breeders on this forum will, though.

Get better soon, Lola! :bestwishes::bunnyhug::flowerskiss:

~Diana and Butter

The babies should be fine. I just weaned a 5 week old litter because

the mom decided that she wanted to be bred again and was being a

little shall we say overzealous with her kits. I just made sure that they

were eating pellets, oatmeal and hay well. They will all stay together

until they are 8 weeks old.

Roger

Hi just an update for everyone

Lola had spurs on her teeth? The vet took her in and filed them down, assuring me that she would start to eat again naturally. She hasn't and she isn't drinking. So I am giving her water in a pipette and the liquid food every hour. Is there anymore I can do for her?

Thanks for the advice again! The babies are all doing fine. I have seen them all eating and drinking, Loads of hay hasgone too.

sarah x

simethicone? I've read that this can help bunnies to pass wind? Is it the same kind of stuff babies have its orange flavour over here (can't think of the product name)??

Any more help? I've posted here about her already, sorry, just want somebody to spot it and help!!!!!!

Sarah x

Hi

Thanks off to the shop to get some now!

It's so hard, i have been feeding her every couple of hours and she is showing no sign of eating for herself at all. Back to the vet in the morning I think.....bill is over £100 already.....she is worth it though!

sarah x

Hi

Thanks! Isn't it funny how quickly you forget! My youngest is almost 3 now but we did use it then!

Anyone any idea how much I should use for a bunny?

sarah x

I normally give 1ml sometimes 1.5mls depending how bad the gas is, every 2 - 3 hours only if needed.

Ifyour sure its it gas and she is pooping ok (no blockage) a gentle tummy massage will help too.

Hi

Yey she pooped yesterday fine! She went into the vets to have her teeth filed down plus she had a chest infection and had gone off her food. The vet gave me some liquid food (science recovery) some Bio-lapis for her water and some fiberplex. They did say that it could be difficult to get her to start eating again...... I can't tell if she has had anything at all today so I am going to weigh her pellets for tomorrow to be sure, her hay looks like she has had some but I am not really sure.

it's hard work..... she looks so sorry for herself. I put her in the run to streatch out a bit and she did have a hop about which is better than being cooped up all day.

Poor Lola.....poor me LOL!

She took the infacol no worries, fingers and toes crossed it helps.

sarah x :ponder:

Letting her out to hop around should help get the gas moving. :)

I'm not sure but shouldn't bunnies be on pain meds for dental work?

I hope she feels better and starts eating real soon! :) :clover:

Hi

The Vet gave her some pain killers yesterday but I wasn't given any to bring home??

Typical it's a bank holiday too so if she really needs to go back it will cost me a small fortune!

Thanks for your help

sarah x

Yeah, she needs pain meds if her teeth were filed down, it might be why shes not eating.

Can you try making her a pellety slurry and see if she will eat that? Wet down her pellets and offer it to her (try on a spoon if she wont take it from the bowl). If you have some canned pumpkin or baby food, you can try adding that for flavor.

Is her belly hard or distended? Keep with the simethicone and gentle tummy rubs.

Yes, definately call and get pain meds. I'm surprised they didn't send any home after doing dental work. Ouch.

I'm with Haley- make her pellets into wet food and see if she will eat that. She might even eat them out of a bowl or off a spoon. You can mix a bit of yummy stuff in to tempt her such as apple juice, a bit of banana, etc. Some rabbits would just rather have their normal-tasting pellets than the fancy vet stuff, thankyouverymuch. You can syringe-feed the slurry too if you make it thin enough.

Massage her belly gently, and while you are doing it slowly raise and lower her hind end to help the bubbles move out. Try to encourage her to move around too.

Hi

Thanks will do...... I have been using a pippette to pop liquid food in from the vet the last couple of days..... might try banana today?

There is wee and sloppy poo in her hutch this morning, she is sitting up not lying down.......

fingers crossed!

sarah x

Back