Loads of bonding questions and a quality of life question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpybabies

Reaction score
I have had a few bonding questions for a while and i have been storing them up but now i have another question too so i thought i had to post. Firstly my bonding questions....

1.Ihave loads of rabbits i am trying to get all in pairs or groups, as a general rule what 2 personalities would go best? One dominant and one submissive rabbit? Because i have 3 hyper males that i don't know if i will be able to bond to any of my current single females who are all quite dominant too. I will obviously try to bond everyone but if it doesn't work, is it best to leave the single ones single because they can see other rabbits anyway or would it be best to make sure i find rabbits to bond them with?

2. How big a space would i need to bond 6 or 9 rabbits together for them living together permenantly? I have a big shed that currently has hutches stacked each side so not loads of floor space, should i remove the hutches of the ones that are bonded and let them free roam in the shed with the extra space that i gain after taking their hutches out?

3. What is the best way to go about bonding a trio? I have heard different things. I want to bond a current mother and daughter pair to a neutered son/brother, as they know each other could i try putting them all together in a neutral space or just one by one?

4. To try and get everyone bonded is it worth trying to introduce asingle male to 2 already bonded sisters, or would it risk the sister's becoming unbonded? I just want everyone to have a friend!

I think that is it for the bonding questions, now the quality of life question. My rabbit that i posted a while back about that doesn't do much has spinal nerve damage, and the vet says he isn't in any pain you just need to judge his quality of life, but he doesn't do anything apart from eat and sleep and lay there and a little drag round if he has to, i am trying everything to enhance his quality of life but when they are not in pain, when do you have them PTS based purely on quality of life? I really don't want him PTS he is my heart bunny but when is it not fair on him? I do't want anyone thinking i am giving up on him, just want what is best for him. Thanks!

Re: Quality of life...
It really is a tough question, isn't it? Several thoughts spring to mind. If you are able to spend plenty of time with him, he probably DOES enjoy his life. They love to eat and sleep, and of course, buns are VERY social! And since the two of you are very close, he'd rather be with you than anybody else. If it were me, I'd also make sure to keep him around you all day, so that he can see you, and you can talk to him, give him a quick nose rub, etc. Since he can't get up and play, keeping him with you would provide important stimulation and keep his mood from becoming depressed. Even if you aren't actively paying attention to him at any one time, he will still feel like he is living life. You can put him in a smallish cage (since he can't move much anyway), or you could wrap him in a towel for awhile and put him in a basket where he can watch you, take him for a car ride in a travel cage, etc. I'd say as long as he doesn't become seriously depressed, there's no reason why you both can't enjoy your relationship together.

I have to agree with keeping your special needs bun close around you. Stimulation is a key to happiness and you'd be suprised at how much a bun loves to be around its people. Just the experience of an outing is quite invigorating for a rabbits' inquisitive nature.

Back