Living With Nelson

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson_is_mine

Reaction score
After months of research and easing my parentsinto the idea, I met my bunny soul mate--Nelson. I have yetto bring him home, but my parents agreed that I could bring him home.I'm unbelieveably excited. I have waited for a rabbit that I clickedwith for months, and now that he's here I can hardly wait to bring himhome!

I saw his cute little face staring at me as I admired the Holland Lopbabies (the breed I was most interested in). When I opened his cagedoor, he got really excited and did a half binky. I was reallyimpressed. He then ran right up and gave me a big smooch.Love at first sight, what can I say? He is about six monthsold and someone returned him to the pet store. (really nice mom and poptype place). And now he's mine. He's the cutest lionhead that I everdid see (which is saying something as all of you have gorgeous rabbits)and he's my soul bunny. So, in my excitement, I made a newaccount (my previous one was for additional research and fun) andstarted up a blog before I even got him.

Apparently, I'm the only one he likes, however, as when my mom wentback to see him today (the last I saw him was sunday) he ran away fromher. Oh well, he'll warm up to her, as long as he and I havea connection, that's all I care about. I will hopefullyupdate soon and be less rambly.

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear more abouthim and see him! BTW your name is perfect because so many of us try tobunnynap cute critters!

Aw, that's really exciting.

I instantly bonded with a bunny, similar to how you are describing, andhe went on to become my best ever friend, and was incredible.

I hope you have many years together :)

And I can't wait to see some pics :D

I brought him home last night and between him,homework, and obligations I haven't been able to update. Unfortunatly,I will not be able to have pictures until later in the week as I lentmy camera to a friend this weekend. He definatly feels rightat home here, he was binkying like crazy today. Adorable.

Yesterday was spent running bunny errands (inservice day at school)because we had to pick him up before the store closed. We went totarget to buy NIC cubes and there was only one box left and it wastorn. We figured it just happened during the shipping or shelving orwhatever, so we bought it anyway. We got home and realized that we hadno connectors. What kind of person would steal connectors? How dumb isthat? And we didn't feel comfortable doing it with just the zip ties,so we went down in the basement and got an old dog cage, (it's prettybig. We use it for our dane puppies and our 83 lb lab can fit in itcomfortably)hosed it down, took out the metal bottom andheaded over to the home depot to get some lamenant flooring. There, wehad some luck. The manager of the flooring department hasrabbits and got us some left over, interlocking flooring for free bytelling his superior it was a school project. It fit in the bottomperfectly. We're going to use the NIC cubes to make theshelving, since the way we are planning on doing it doesn't involve theconnectors.

I'm going to ramble for a long time (like I haven't already) about howgreat he is. He has peed faithfully in his litter box (knockon wood) and has a good portion of his poops in there too (more than Iwould have expected from him) he's pretty much content and has fitright in. Last night I just let him get used to his cage andwatched him, he came over a few times for a scratch on the nose throughthe bars, but other than that he just explored and played with all histoys (mostly the homemade kind). He didn't eat much of his pellets, butpigged out on his timothy hay. I think it's cause the food they had atthe pet food store was much sweeter. The kind with all the littlecolored vegetable shapes in it. I didn't ask for any (like an idiot)but he wasn't even adjusted to that from his previous home, so Ifigured it would be okay and the fact that he hasn't had any wet poopsprooves that.

I let him out for the first time early this morning (from 4:30-6:30)and he had a grand old time. He likes being under the dresser andrunning under it at a crouch, so this afternoon I went to the pet storeto see if I could get him a tube (because I don't really want him undermy dresser, as he started chewing at the wood from the bottom and it'sold, so I don't know what kind of paint is on there. It is now blockedoff with a baby gate and I'm glad I caught it within the first twonibbles) but they only had the tubes for guinea (sp) pigs, so I'm gonnago look around other stores and see if maybe the local hardware storehas anything.

He really enjoys his exercise time (I let him out again this afternoon)and he'd sit in my lap for a few seconds, like enough time for one ortwo pets and then he'd be off running circles or crawling underfurniture and every five minutes or so come back for another scratch.At least he's not ignoring me. i was expecting him to be a little wierdfor the first few days. I don't think he'll ever be a real big snugglebunny (he's much too active) but he's fun to watch and loves to bescratched behind the ears and on his flanks. He's just soperfect.

I take back what I said about him not being asnuggle bunny. He just layed next to me for a half hour demanding to bepetted. I suppose it was just the time of day.

:bunnydance:woohoooo!!! Sounds wonderful! Shall we be seeing photos soon? I'm dying to see what he looks like

Yes, we should have pictures by monday. I havesome on my phone, but they're not as good of a quality as I will getfrom my camera. This morning he was walking around like a catstalking a bird and then he sat and thumped three times. I wasn't surewhat to do, or what he could have possibly been thumping about, so Ijust sat there. He stared for about a minute and a half before climbinginto my lap, so I guess he just wanted some pets or forgot aboutwhatever he was thumping about.

Sounds great!

About the cage, it is perfectly fine to use only zip ties. That is how mine is done, and other member's too.

Back