Little Miracles Rabbit Rescue (EDIT: STOP THE NEGATIVITY!)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxysmummy

Reaction score
NOTE FROM ADMIN: This forum has investigated these claims against LMRR and concludes their has been no abuse and that the rescue has saved the lives of many rabbits.

Whatever shortcomings the rescue may have had does not by a longshot deserve the level of vitriol leveled at them by the small but obsessive group launching these attacks.
Additionally, the group now appears to be attempting to derail rescue projects even if it means harm to the rabbits.

Because the group is now linking this thread to promote yet another personal attack, we are asking them publicly to refrain from using our forum.

Please join us in asking them to stop wasting valuable energy on this negativity and redirect their considerable efforts to HELPING rabbit rescues instead of trying to shut them down!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I normally don't get involved with naming and shaming but this story touched my heart and i havent been able to get it off my mind.

being on the other side of the world it's hard for me to do anything so i couldn't live with myself if i didn't spread awareness about whats happening.

apparently the person who runs this shelter is a hoarder masquerading as a bona-fide rabbit rescue. i'm not going to go into details as the pictures speak for themselves.

156889_109210019150454_100001843708397_81002_1655355_n.jpg

63644_109460635792059_100001843708397_83183_4347898_n.jpg

150556_108935549177901_100001843708397_78531_4420566_n.jpg

154101_108935662511223_100001843708397_78539_3323013_n.jpg

For more pictures and information go to:

facebook.com/horrors.lmrr

i'm sorry if this is disturbing to you guys, i just couldn't keep this information to myself. who knows, perhaps with the collective shout of all of us, we can speak for the bunnies and hopefully save some lives.

I'd think (and research) very carefully before supporting and promoting this type of negative vendetta.

There are two sides to every story. I don't know any of these people, but I'm a journalist. We never believe anything at face-value. This campaign against Little Miracles has been going on for quite some time, and it appears to originate with one person, or a small group, the ever-present disgruntled ex-volunteer segment of the rescue world.

EVERY rescue has passionate people volunteering who always think things can/should be done better. The most reputable groups will have detractors. If a detractor just happens to have a a lot of time on their hands and a great sense of marketing, the results can be a pretty massive - and very one-sided - hostile campaign. Like this one.

I'm in the middle of a few huge rescues, including a whole herd of giant meat rabbit babies, and the photos on the Facebook site look a heck of a lot better than my place. I cannot put a huge bowl of water down for the big guys without them drinking it all almost immediately. After two or three (big) bowls in a row, they'll leave some water in it, but within minutes, a bouncy juvenile (or 10) will have landed in it or flipped it over. The food bowl will always be empty. (Even my single guys will eat all their pellets in one sitting).

I'm slowly socializing them, and I'm not going to pick them up to clip anybody's nails until they know they're safe in my care. One of the babies is extremely skinny and after a week of providing supplemental nutrition and other care, he is still ridiculously thin. (He will be going to a vet). There has been a week-long photo opp here in the meantime.

I have a young feral cat here being fostered. She's started off by stalking the bunnies, and I just watched. They ignored her -- rabbits seem to be able to differentiate predators -- and now they're playing together. (It's really cute!)

I'm sure pictures of most rescues taken at inopportune moments will look the same as any of these.

Do I think she runs one of the better rescues? No, I'd probably give them a 5 out of 10 based on a past incident years ago where she did get in over her head, cages that aren't the best housing (although the majority of owners and rescues use
them). Do I think LM in can do a better job? With help and funds, yes, of course.

Rescue is a very hard job. Physical labor hard. And time-challenged.

Kris appears to be good at getting vet care and caring for the rabbits, she gets them spayed/neutered, she's good at fundraising, seems to be good at organizing volunteers, and she seems to be able to largely ignore the ridiculous rescue politics.

I'd guess the SPCA and/or any other responsible org agrees, because you can bet your booties whoever is behind this ridiculously aggressive campaign has called them on numerous occasions. I have to assume they have checked out her rescue efforts (both in Florida and NJ) and have not taken any action.

By pursuing this campaign, the instigators are in effect trying to change this by ensuring the funds and support WILL dry up and she will have trouble caring for them. This is a self-perpetuating story.

What people have to ask themselves is what is best for the rabbits. I'm sure many of her rescues (if not most) were abandoned in the streets or on death row at shelters. If they weren't with Kris, where would they be?

If this person succeeds in shutting LMRR down, what are the chances the rabbits will be moved to a better place? I don't know any rescues who can take more than a couple more house bunnies. The SPCA has a history of euthanizing rabbits they deem 'sick' (ie: needing vet care). The county animal control can come in and seize them, and chances are good they will be killed or at least locked up in cages smaller and starker than the ones they're in now.

The best course of action is to campaign vigorously to get support and volunteers for the rabbits, not to stop support.

If people are concerned about the accusations re: misuse of funding, then donate food and supplies, donate/open an account at her vet clinic or round up volunteers to go help clean, feed and water. They can also monitor the situation.

Take POSITIVE steps.

sas

i did attempt to get both sides of the stories but in my opinion there are far too many ex volunteers who had similar stories despite not knowing each-other.

it's not the empty food bowls that's the main concern, it's the thick dirty urine soaked floor

Your best bet will be contacting the local SPCA or Humane Society to have someone visit. I would find out what the county is that the rescue is in, mention that you've heard a great deal of bad stuff, and ask that they do a check-up. Alternatively, if they're very far from you geographically, try to convince an ex-volunteer to make a report with the local SPCA/Humane Society/county animal control officers.

I'm always very skeptical when I see these types of posts. It's just soooooo easy for a disgruntled volunteer or adopter to use things against the shelter. Do we have any proof that these pictures are pictures of the conditions AT the shelter? Is it possible that these pictures were actually taken when the rabbits were first brought to the shelter?

In any case, even if one person runs the shelter... If there are volunteers, wouldn't they have been taking care of the animals? How would it have gotten like that?

I'm not saying it did, or it didn't. What I am saying is that I am very careful about taking sides when it comes to these situations. I don't have any experience with that shelter at all. I cannot say I have seen itwith my own eyes.

I personally do not see why anyone would run a shelter if they were going to mistreat animals. Something just doesn't quite fit...

Thank you Pipp for your post.

I'm attending the open house this weekend to check out the situation myself. The vet that my rescue uses is also involved with this rescue. I doubt she would be involved if the situation is as bad as others have alleged.

In this situation, I always advise people

1. Visit the rescues and make your own mind up
2. If after a visit you think there is a problem then

a. if it's series you should contact the appropriate authorities
b. if you think its a result of lack of funds/volunteers see where you can help out

You'd think photos, as a visual form of evidence, would be useful but they can be very misleading.

Take photo1, for example, that cage is bare of any litter but look top and right, those have fairly clean looking wood shavings down. If the cage wasThat's a lot of poop but buns poop a lot and that's probably a weeks worth at most. It looks like a cage mid clean. An empty food bowl isn't really an issue (mine rabbits don't even have food bowls let alone empty ones) and the water bowl can't have been empty long as there is water pooled on top that looks like its from being tipped over recently. The bun doesn't look particularly underweight in this. There is also a toy and a clean looking blanket.

Pic 2: A skinny rabbit - good rescues have those all the time too as they come in that way, and it's pictured on a lovely fresh looking tray of hay.

Pic 3: Long tails yes, but fluffy white feet - that suggests a cage that has been keep very clean. If it was living in a cage that looked like pic 1 it would have stainned toes. Again rescues have buns with long nails come in all the time. Same with pic 3. A rabbit with an issue like this make take several week to resolve or be that way permenatly depending on the cause.

I can't see photos etc. via facebook but these are certainly not what I would count as conclusive.

maxysmummy wrote:
please someone reply, little miracles rabbit rescue needs to be shut down
You never spoke a truer word.

Having followed accounts of the things that go on in the hands of this woman for years now, she is a hoarder and cares nothing for the rabbits. The photos are just a small example.

Rabbits deserved far better than this and somebody who exploits her role as an *alleged* rescuer when the rabbits are living in filth and squallor, needs to be stopped :X

She has just set up anew (again) in NJ after having lived there with her parents years ago, the rabbits at their home being in such a dreadful condition that she eventually fled to FL...and the rabbits that OTHER RESCUES had to liberate from the parents' home were in dire condition. In Fl....well, she did a lot of fundraising and had a lot of visits to Hawaii!..and the photos shown were taken at the 'rescue' there. BTW she left behind a load of guinea pigs when she left...which she *claims* she's going back for.

The new place she has in NJ now has a lot of volunteers and is clean SO FAR....but give her time and the unfortunate rabbits she has are going to go through the same sorry saga as their predecessors.

It's time people took notice of this. This woman is a hoarder and bad news for the rabbits.:(

Hi everyone,

I am a former volunteer from the FL lmrr in 2009. I left their as a volunteer on MY own...was not fired or told to leave. I'm not a different rabbit rescue w/ a vendetta. I left because the pres. Kristie Corson aka Christie Corson, Bunny Rescue, was not caring for the rescue and abusing the donations. I agree w/ everyone, that these situations need to be researched carefully...and I'm at fault for not researching LMRR more before I started donating time and money. Because I'm so gullible when it comes to rabbits...I fell for lmrr! I found lmrr on the web and began following the rescue. I went to FL grand opening in 2009 and everything looked great!!! I was impressed....not too many rabbits, clean cages, ect. I started volunteering...driving 2 hours to get there. The first time I went to vol....things were different!! Before I even opened the door to the rescue...I could smell the urine. Inside was a mess. The number of rabbits in the rescue building grew! I just thought to myself...ok, she's busy and got behind. Ex-volunteers tried to warn us in the beginning....but we thought they were wrong. Every time I went there conditioned were the same. The rabbits lived in their own waste. The rabbits would be standing on their tippy toes begging for food and water. Many had fleas and ear mites. Many were sick! I would donate money, food, hay & litter. I kept going because there to help the rabbits!! not Kristie!! A group of volunteers would spend over 8 hours there just doing the basics. Kristie’s own pets were in the same conditions in her house! There were dead rabbits in the freezer!!

PETA, The Humane Society, North Port and Sarasota police and animal control were all contacted. Kristie at that time was a Police Officer...and she used that to her power.

Why would I want to shut down this rabbit rescue? Because those rabbits are suffering!

To address some of the other comments:

"This campaign against Little Miracles has been going on for quite some time, and it appears to originate with one person, or a small group, the ever-present disgruntled ex-volunteer segment of the rescue world." "EVERY rescue has passionate people volunteering who always think things can/should be done better. The most reputable groups will have detractors. If a detractor just happens to have a lot of time on their hands and a great sense of marketing, the results can be a pretty massive - and very one-sided - hostile campaign. Like this one."
This "campaign" originates from Ex- volunteers and concerned citizens. We are not "detractors" with a lot of free time...yes we are passionate...passionate about the rabbits at the rescue just being cared for properly...passionate for the rights of the rabbits!

"I'm sure pictures of most rescues taken at inopportune moments will look the same as any of these."
The pictures being shown were the normal, everyday conditions at the rescue until volunteers cleaned or an event was happening w/ the rescue. I agree that rescues aren't going to be picture perfect all the time.

"Kris appears to be good at getting vet care and caring for the rabbits, she gets them spayed/neutered"
ASK Kris to show ALL the records to the public??? ASK her to show ALL receipts from every spay & Neuter or vet care in the last 2 years??? Count all the rabbits she claimed to have s/n in the past yr...Where is the proof...receipts from the vet?? If your going to run a rescue and depend on public donations....then show the ACTUAL Vet receipts and Vet records. Kristie can't!!! Show all original receipts for food and supplies...not just a few...she had over 70 rabbits in FL!!

"What people have to ask themselves is what is best for the rabbits. I'm sure many of her rescues (if not most) were abandoned in the streets or on death row at shelters. If they weren't with Kris, where would they be?"
true...a lot were abandoned, on death row, and surrenders. Some were also purchased from Breeders. People have to ask themselves what is better for the rabbits....dying humanely or dying from neglect at the rescue? We can't save every unwanted animal in today’s society.

"If people are concerned about the accusations re: misuse of funding, then donate food and supplies, donate/open an account at her vet clinic or round up volunteers to go help clean, feed and water. They can also monitor the situation. "
Everyone donates/donated food and supplies. Volunteers did help...there was never enough. lmrr just keeps taking in rabbits, kittens, gp's, everything...more than she could care for. If anyone would ever question Kristie....crap would hit the ceiling!! A volunteer can only do so much! A person can only be treated like crap for a short time. Lmrr could never keep the volunteers for a long time because Kristie treated them like crap.

"Your best bet will be contacting the local SPCA or Humane Society to have someone visit. I would find out what the county is that the rescue is in, mention that you've heard a great deal of bad stuff, and ask that they do a check-up. Alternatively, if they're very far from you geographically, try to convince an ex-volunteer to make a report with the local SPCA/Humane Society/county animal control officers." it's all been done...there is a lot of "red tape" with bigger orgs.

In any case, even if one person runs the shelter... If there are volunteers, wouldn't they have been taking care of the animals? How would it have gotten like that? Kristie couldn’t keep her vols...try taking care of 70+ rabbits w/ even 2 or 3 vols...

"I'm attending the open house this weekend to check out the situation myself. The vet that my rescue uses is also involved with this rescue. I doubt she would be involved if the situation is as bad as others have alleged." The shelter will be perfect...go back unexpectedly in a few months. It's all repeated behavior w/ lmrr. It will always look great for events. She will fall back into the bad conditions again and again. Now maybe all of this exposure will change Kristie and she can run a rescue...that would be great!!! I'd be happy for her...I hope that happens.

"You'd think photos, as a visual form of evidence, would be useful but they can be very misleading.

Take photo1, for example, that cage is bare of any litter but look top and right, those have fairly clean looking wood shavings down. If the cage was That’s a lot of poop but buns poop a lot and that's probably a weeks worth at most. It looks like a cage mid clean. An empty food bowl isn't really an issue (mine rabbits don't even have food bowls let alone empty ones) and the water bowl can't have been empty long as there is water pooled on top that looks like its from being tipped over recently. The bun doesn't look particularly underweight in this. There is also a toy and a clean looking blanket."
lmrr doesn’t use wood shavings...that's dried hay, urine, hair, and feces. Empty food bowls are an issue when they are empty for days. If you look closely the bowls have urine in them..that wet spot could be fresh urine, lmrr uses water BOTTLES. The Fleece blanket repels liquids..(I use those w/ my bunns). yes lmrr does put toys in the cages.

Pic 2: A skinny rabbit - good rescues have those all the time too as they come in that way, and it's pictured on a lovely fresh looking tray of hay. That tray is actually the litter box w/ hay on top.

Pic 3: Long tails yes, but fluffy white feet - that suggests a cage that has been keep very clean. If it was living in a cage that looked like pic 1 it would have stainned toes. Again rescues have buns with long nails come in all the time. Same with pic 3. A rabbit with an issue like this make take several week to resolve or be that way permenatly depending on the cause." That could have been a surrender or could have been a rabbit kept in an x-pen on the floor or in her house?

I understand your points...all rescues are struggling and it's hard. With that said...The rescues need to be responsible. Don't take in more than you can handle and afford. We all want to save all the animals....but that is not realistic in today’s society.

I understand It is my word against hers....but I'm not the only person making the claims. YES, pictures can be misguided or misleading. I volunteered there and witnessed these conditions...even worse than what is shown.

I just care about the rabbits and they don't deserve to live this way.

:dunno

I'm on the fence regarding the whole matter, I don't know who or what to believe. If the past events are true, well nothing can be done now because she got her act together. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Wow, I don't know what to say. I never heard of LMRR until recently. A local rescue group was looking at her set up with cages and looking at using it for a rescue that may open in my area for rabbits. When I looked at her FB page at that time, I was amazed and have been following her since. It seems like she is working so hard to get this rescue going and really cares. I am shocked. I am with Erika, I don't know what to believe. I guess all I can do it hope that she keeps her act together.

You can also not assume that everything is fine, and that it is onlya matter of disgruntled volunteers or other individuals. My experience began in 2003, when our rescue took in 15 of the LMRR NJ foster rabbits to help out the mother of that rescue's president. ALL of the rabbits that we took in were severely underweight, malnurished and had mild to serious health issues. Furthermore, we could sense the intense depression that these rabbits were suffering from. It is a day that I will never forget.

That was in the past, you say, but I am in touch with as many as seven ex-volunteers from the Florida rescue, who all state the the conditions in the rescue were horrid, and the number of rabbit deaths was high.

This individual has a problem, and it has been the rabbits who have suffered for nearly ten years, now, while the president of the rescue continues to snow everyone.

BTW, things will look great for the open house. Make a surprise visit three months down the road and see if things have changed.

Note: I never said I would forgive such actions.

The problem I have jumping on the 'this lady is an animal abuser' bandwagon is that there are also TONS of people, volunteers, and sponsors/supporters for her. Here is a video I found on YouTube showing the inside of their rescue from back in May of this year. Looks extremely well kept to me.

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/YQHNGu3grgk[/flash]

Yea sure, but than you look at the pictures that the volunteers have of the same shelter and it isn't so well kept, yet it is the same building.. Do you think those volunteers threw piles of poop around before they took the pictures they have? They are obviously the same place and the same home made cages.

Of course she is only going to publish pictures and videos of when it is just cleaned up. And it was those same volunteers that busted their backs cleaning it up like that after she let it go.

Those pictures that the ex volunteers have of the same rescue building speak way louder and they speak a better truth than the pre planned video.

Harvanator is right. Who is going to shoot and post a video with horrid conditions? All part of her snow job to the public, and she is very good at it.

is it worth taking the chance? i find it much more likely that one person is an irresponsible animal hoarder than loads and loads of people from all around the country are just happening to collude and make it all up. if you look at the psychiatric profile of these people they are manipulative and make it look (to others) that they are doing a great job.

I watched an ABC doccumentary type program about animal hoarders and 100% of them relapse if they don't have proper psychiatric help. this woman is in denial and many people saw she was a hoarder (she admitted it herself in a response to the campaign against her.)

This should be about the rabbits. if you add the Bunny Truths LMRR facebook page the pictures and accounts from ex volunteers speak volumes - it's not something that can be ignored.

I guess I find it hard to believe that someone that seems to have it so together and providing good conditions could turn and allow it to get so horrifically bad while still running as a rescue with volunteers see it all.

I cannot tell it's the same building from the photo's posted and the FB profile is private.

I added the Facebook page and you are right, those pictures can't be ignored. It is sad. I feel sick after seeing them.

What can others do to help? I would like to help.

I have to say, I volunteer with rabbits at a nonprofit humane society geared towards cat and dogs. To think of the things I complained about and then to see these pictures, I feel horrible. The buns where I volunteer lives are so much better. I can't believe a rescue could run like this. To think I complained about things like the rabbits not having adoption events like the cats and dogs. And here is a shetler where the rabbits don't even get food and water. I just never imaged.

There was also a time I reported a feed store who had a rabbit living in inches deep of feces and urine with long nails. The creulty officers gave them so many days to clean the cage and get the nails cut. They then followed up to make sure it was done and since I filed the complaint, they even called me when it was all done to tell me what they had made the owner do and that they followed up to make sure it was done. This rabbits conditions were nothing like the pictures posted. I just don't get how they can ignore it.

Have you guys looked into getting the House Rabbit Society involoved? I really love the House Rabbit Soceity and know that at least my local chapter is very involved and is willing to do anything to help rabbits. Even contacting the chapter near her new shelter, I bet some of the members would make some visits. Especially since it seems most of the volunteers who made the site are far away.

Back