Little bit of panic...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy05

Reaction score
Dandy's babies won't be 2 weeks until tommorow,but when I went down to feed and check on everyone, I noticed that thebabies weren't in the nest. Instead they were all crumpled together inthe corner by the litter box. The thing that worried me, was that inorder for them to get out of the nest box, they would have had to dropabout 6-8 inches to get down to the cage floor. So yes, I was definatlyconcerned as I reached in to check each kit over for any sign ofinjury. Anyway, since they won't be 2 weeks until tommorow, I scoopedthem back up and put them back into the nest box. Also the nest hadbeen flattened so now I am wondering if I choose the right thing. Wasit flattened because Dandy figured that they were done with it? Thenest box is attached to the outside of the chage, she has 2 doors toher cage, and we just removed 1 of them and strapped thenestright up against the outside of the cage, so as to not take up any moreroom inside the cage. All 3 have their eyes open now, but they didsnuggle right back into the hay and fur inside the nest box. Are theystill chilly? Or is it just a natural thing to stay snuggled up?...

Quick suggestions please!!!!

Yes I can, however it will take up quite a bitof her space, but if that is the best thing, I guess it would be thesafest. I would feel just awful if one of them was to be hurt fromfalling that distance. I will have to wait until a bit later when myhusband gets back, so that he can reattach the second door for me.

when do they normally leave the nest for good? Why would it have been all flattened?

At that age they do start jumping, andclimbing. It is often much easier for them to get out of thenest box because they get a nice boost from the hay on the floor (lessdistance to jump).

Could you put something at the base of the nest box, something easy forthen to use to boost them back into the nest box? Like alittle set of stairs? Maybe make something out of shoe boxes?

--Dawn

That would be a possibility. Would they actuallyfigure it out? Hm, I will see what I can come up with for that. Thanks,Anything else?

I have found that frequently the first one jumps- and then the next ones jump on top of the first (if it is close by)and they get their fall cushioned by the first one. :D

I don't think 6-8" is too bad for a baby to jump - they're probablylearning how to do it so that they won't hurt themselves but you'vereceived some good advice on how to help them.

Enjoy them! They're so much fun at this age...

Peg

I think they would figure it out, they're pretty smart and determined.

Although, I've had babies abandon the nest box for a more covvettedspot behind the litter box. Gave me a heart attack the firsttime they did it. I would put them back in the nest box andwithin a few hours they'd be back behind the litter boxes. Ijust gave up after a couple days, and let them sleep where ever theysaw fit.

--Dawn

Put some hay outside the nestbox, right in frontso when they land that will cushion them. It is normal atthis age that all are jumping out and their nest beflattened. Don't worry, they will keep themselves warmtogether. Make sure you have a water dish in the cage forthem to drink out of, however, do NOT fill it to the top!Just fill it a little so incase they fall in, they will notdrown.

Like TinyMom said, they are so much fun at this age. They arelike little clowns. Sit and watch them when they are allawake, you won't stop laughing.

Sharon

Latest posts

Back