Litters

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samandshawn

Reaction score
But I have been trying to advise a person aboutthe dangers of some litters for their cat and dog, but I cant seem tofind any good links, they say they need proof! doesanyone here have any good sites that back up what they claim?

I found this danger one

http://www.care2.com/channels/solutions/pets/620

Found this one saying is safe is digested somehow

http://www.gentletouchproducts.com/

[font="Helvetica, Geneva, Arial, SunSans-Regular,sans-serif"]Pet bedding products provide pets the ability to nest andis safe if ingested. Other products cause intestinal blockage,respiratory problems and other diseases associated with animal waste.

Worth a look and goodluck;)
[/font]

You might actually find this interesting...

I've heard that kittens can be harmed by ingesting catlitter, especially the scoopable kind. What's your position onthis?

Clorox is a member of the Sorptive Minerals Institute (SMI), a nationaltrade association that represents the producers and marketers ofabsorbent clay products, specifically cat litter. The member companiesrepresent approximately 95% of clay cat litter products sold in theUnited States. When SMI began hearing "rumors" about clumping litter,they interviewed veterinarians, pet store owners and cat owners, askingif they were aware of any health-related problems that could bedirectly attributed to the use of clumping litter. SMI contracted withthe National Animal Poison Control Center at the University of Illinoisasking them to provide names and comments of any individuals who calledregarding health problems that they associated with clumping litter.Whenever possible, these pet owners and their veterinarians werecontacted. Autopsies were performed on animals purported to have diedas a result of using clumping litter. In every case the autopsyrevealed there was some other underlying cause of death, totallyunrelated to clumping litter.

SMI even spoke to the holistic veterinary practitioner who first raisedthis litter issue and she was not able to provide a single piece ofevidence linking clumping litter with sickness or death. Even the ASPCAhas no health issue with clumping cat litter and they continue torecommend it.

Despite numerous consultations, interviews and tests, neither Clorox,SMI nor any of the veterinarians with whom we have spoken, have beenable to find any scientific evidence linking the use of clumping litterwith the sickness or death of any kitten or cat.

*edit* Not saying that I agree with this position; I'venever had any personal experience with this. I did try to find someconcrete evidence of clumping litters causing death or injury - no luckyet.

Back