litterbox

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuncanTheDutch

Reaction score
Ok I am using aspen in my buns litterbox. Now Iveread that you should never put cedar or pine, and wood shavings arebad. Aspen is wood shavings but it is neither cedar or pine. Whatshould I do?

Thanks,

Sara and Duncan

Aspen is generally ok. I currently usea recycled newspaper product called Cell-Sorb, but most people here useWoody Pet, which is a wood pellet. I'm hoping to find adealer where I can get Woody Pet because it is really economical.

Jen

I'm currently using Aspen, I believe its better than using cedar or pine from what I understand.

I am looking for Woody Pet in my area as well, I talked to the locallyowned petstore I get my lizard things thru and she's gonna see if shecan get it for me!

Ok I got kinda worried there for a second becauseI bought like a 10 lb bag of it because thats what we use in our gerbilcage, that way we could save money. But what is woody pet? Is itsomething I should use when the aspen runs out?

Sara and Duncan

Pine is pretty safe to use on your rabbit. Thewhole pine is bad thing is in fact a myth. Most pine shavings nowadaysare kiln dried. Which makes it pretty safe to use. Tried googling itbut ended up with all that pine is bad stuff nonsense. Cause I did havea link at one time to a website stating that the whole pine shavingthing is a myth.

I use kiln dried aspen shavings in the drop pans for my buns cages.

Pine shaving that have been kiln dried can be considered safe to use as well.

It's the aromatic oils that are dangerous to buns, and the dryingprocess removes those. Woody Pet uses a drying process to ensure it'ssafety, too.

~Jim

I use a mixture of Critter Country andYesterday's News (for rabbits). It's very moisture and odorabsorbent. I only have to change litter boxes every 5-7days.

Back