LITTERBOX TRAINING IS IMPOSSIBLE

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad its working out so far! Just a note though, in case it doesnt work in the long run...

I couldnt train my bunnies with a typical litterbox. They hated getting their feet dirty and would just pee/poo outside no matter what. I use the grated, scatterless litterpan - I line the inside (fold it over so they cant tug it out) with a Wee Wee Pad and put a scoop of litter in there. They sit on top of the grate, so no poo or pee ever touches them and as long as I swap out Wee Wee Pads every day or two - they rarely ever make a mistake. They also dont eat hay or veggies on their litterbox, although they like to sit there and hang out...

Yeah, Silas is perfect at the litterbox now :'D
*knocks on wood*

Even so when I switched the litter to Cozy n Fresh (smells very woody).

He does poop outside of the litterbox sometimes, but I'm not worried about it cause Solara and Sabriel do too. The only thing I'm concerned about is him not eating his cecals. They smoosh on the ground and leave marks and it's yucky. Why isn't he eating them?

Hmm.. oh noes. It might be the sweets D:
I don't give them too much, I haven't given him any today at all!
But I don't think it could be the pellets because he doesn't seem to really eat them a lot. Well today he hasn't. But then again, my mom fed him this morning so I didn't see how much she put in there.

Anything with carbs and too many pellets can lead to the not eating cecals. He's such a big guy, is there any issue for him to reach down there to eat them? Is he flexible enough?

Ah, I'm not sure. That maybe it.
I have seen him poop out the cecals, then turn around and eat them (which is even more gross looking than when they eat it straight out of their butt lol!)...
How do I know if he's getting too many pellets?
I'm afraid I'm not gunna feed him enough.
What had carbs in it? o.o
Sorry for all the questions D:

Any treats that are sweet or like bread have carbs in them--like Yogies, oats, crackers, most pet store bunny treats. As for the pellet amount, you really have to tailor it to each bunny. The way to tell if he's getting enough is if he looks fine and isn't underweight. The way to tell if he's getting too much is if he's not eating all his cecals, or if he seems chunky.

Do you think he might be eating his cecals that way because he can't reach over his mid-section to eat them at the source?

tonyshuman wrote:
Any treats that are sweet or like bread have carbs in them--like Yogies, oats, crackers, most pet store bunny treats. As for the pellet amount, you really have to tailor it to each bunny. The way to tell if he's getting enough is if he looks fine and isn't underweight. The way to tell if he's getting too much is if he's not eating all his cecals, or if he seems chunky.

Do you think he might be eating his cecals that way because he can't reach over his mid-section to eat them at the source?

He doesn't get any crackers or bread like things. He usually just gets his normal pellets and veggies and maybe some fruit.

He got a few yogurt treats this past week, but he doesn't get them regularly.

How do I tell if he "looks" fine? I feel like that's a stupid question, but he doesn't look any different from when I first got him. XD He looks well-fed and healthy to me!

He doesn't seem too fat to reach his cecals. He looks fat when he lays down but he doesn't look or FEEL fat when he's standing and I feel his tummy.

How should his ribs/spine feel? Cause they feel like how Solara and Sabriel's feel and I know they're getting enough.

I"m sure u saw my posts about Snuff peeing himself. Thank the Lord he stopped. But, we had to change some things. Started feeding him his pellets in his litter box, yep. It's worked, though.;)

Maybe something to try?

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
I"m sure u saw my posts about Snuff peeing himself.  Thank the Lord he stopped.  But, we had to change some things.  Started feeding him his pellets in his litter box, yep.  It's worked, though.;)

Maybe something to try?

Actually, I hadn't D: at least I don't think so XD
That's good he stopped :)
Silas's food dish is too big to put in his litterbox, and I'm sure he'd pee in it, like Sabriel had peed in his XD
He's litterbox trained now, for good *crosses fingers*
The putting the other buns' pee in his litterbox really worked. :)

Yield wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
I"m sure u saw my posts about Snuff peeing himself. Thank the Lord he stopped. But, we had to change some things. Started feeding him his pellets in his litter box, yep. It's worked, though.;)

Maybe something to try?

Actually, I hadn't D: at least I don't think so XD
That's good he stopped :)
Silas's food dish is too big to put in his litterbox, and I'm sure he'd pee in it, like Sabriel had peed in his XD
He's litterbox trained now, for good *crosses fingers*
The putting the other buns' pee in his litterbox really worked. :)
Yes, Snuff has peed in his a couple times, but mostly, it just helped.:D

jujub793 wrote:
i feel your frustration, my bunnies poop AND pee NEXT to the litterbox. even the one inside the cage. I put the hay in there and they will sit in it and eat the hay but pee next to the litterbox. i also am very aggrevated by the peeing mostly. i have hard wood floors and the pee is staining it! i will move the outside litterbox to where they seem to want to go and they pick a NEW spot :X
My bunny, Lennie, does the same exact thing! It's so frustrating! He poops right next to the litterbox >_> He is relatively clean though. There's only a few stray poop balls around his cage. He just has that one spot he always uses... Right next to the litterbox.

BabyMei wrote:
jujub793 wrote:
i feel your frustration, my bunnies poop AND pee NEXT to the litterbox. even the one inside the cage. I put the hay in there and they will sit in it and eat the hay but pee next to the litterbox. i also am very aggrevated by the peeing mostly. i have hard wood floors and the pee is staining it! i will move the outside litterbox to where they seem to want to go and they pick a NEW spot :X
My bunny, Lennie, does the same exact thing! It's so frustrating! He poops right next to the litterbox >_> He is relatively clean though. There's only a few stray poop balls around his cage. He just has that one spot he always uses... Right next to the litterbox.

pooping outside of the litterbox to a certain extent is normal XD markin their territory! :p

Yield wrote:
BabyMei wrote:
jujub793 wrote:

pooping outside of the litterbox to a certain extent is normal XD markin their territory! :p
I know that, but he only does it in one spot.

Dang, I wish I had another bunny or knew someone with another bunny to borrow some dirty litter from... he'd probably do well with that, seeing as how territorial he is, lol... My Eckie randomly just started peeing NEXT to his litterboxes, no matter how I arrange them and I'm stumped, I've tried everything to fix it -_-'

hi

i had the exact same problem, my rabbit also thought lying in the litter tray makes a great bed, we made her living space bigger using lots of bedding on the opposite side and within a week she was fully litter trained now she roams the house. she still has a few poop accidents when shes excited.

Latest posts

Back