Litterbox for Post-Neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonsai

Heidi's Mom
Reaction score
Hello!

It is nearly time for Snickers to get the snip but I'm a little concerned about his litterbox. His litterbox has 6 inch sides because he sometimes pees off the side if the sides are too small and he backs himself into a corner to pee. When he gets his procedure done, will he need a more easily-accessed litterbox, and does anyone have some good ideas for what to use for one? His current litterbox is a 26in long, 6in high storage tote without a lid and it works great, he can get in and out of it with ease but I'm sure he'll be too sore post-neuter to get into it until he's recovered, but I'm also not sure how to keep him from peeing off the edges and getting into his own urine while I'm at work/out of the house. :(

Another concern of mine is that he won't use his litterbox unless there's hay in it. Is it okay for the bedding material in his litterbox to be hay after his procedure? I have used puppy pads in the past, but he also loves to dig and tear those up, I'm not too sure the absorbent material found in them is very good for his digestive system. I can keep them replaced while I'm awake, but when I'm sleeping or out, he makes a huge mess of them!

I also have another question. After his surgery, I know I must keep an eye on his incision. How do I pick him up to reduce the amount of discomfort? I usually put one hand under his belly and the other under his butt when I pick him up, but will this be uncomfortable for him?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just really nervous!

When my boy had the snip i got a 3 inch depth litter tray. Around this to stop him to stop him spraying i got a deeper box with the front cut to the depth of the litter tray. I coverd it in bin liners cellotaped to the box. I use sawdust flakes which you can get in pets at home to fill the litter tray. To pick up
View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1442776403542.jpg
Hold him along his side as picture. Supported by your arm and body.

Latest posts

Back