Litter Training?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aushi

Reaction score
I've only had my one month old buns for about ten days, in my previous research I read that you should watch for where the bunnies pick to go and then place a litter box with hay there so they go there.

I've been keeping a very close eye on them and their habits, let them out for 4 hours (2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the night) During the day I'm at school, but usually at night I let them out longer as long as I'm awake, but minimum is 4 hours. It doesn't matter where they are, they don't seem to have a definitive spot to go in. The just go where they are standing :c

Is this because of their age? I want to get to training ASAP. I usually clean the floor every other day but because they are pooping and peeing everywhere I have to clean the floor twice a day, every day :\

Place a litter box in their cage. Hang a hay rack above the litter box so they have to be completely in the litter box to eat the hay. Or you can place a pile of hay in a corner of the litter box. Buns tend to potty while eating so this should help.

Since you have more than one bun you may need to use a larger litter box. When I first rescued my girls one would sit in the litter box and eat but the other would reach from the side while outside of the litter box. Plastic storage containers work well. For a tall one you can cut one side lower to make it easier to hop in and out.

You may want to restrict their space until they start getting the hang of litter training.

Pick up any poops outside of the litter box and place it in the litter box. Any pee outside of the litter box soak up with a corner of a paper towel and then place this in the litter box. Clean any surfaces that have been peed on with a mix of vinegar/water. This breaks down the urine smell so bun will not pee in the same space based on smell.

I trained my male at ten weeks old which is when I brought him home. The girls were a year and a half when I brought them home and litter trained them.

Thanks! Because of their size I have a shoe box filled with hey as a litter box, did it the moment I built their new cage. But I haven't been putting their poop/pee in there, so that's a brilliant idea!

I've decided to restrict their exercise to just one room so I can track their accidents and clean appropriately, thank you!

Thanks! Because of their size I have a shoe box filled with hey as a litter box, did it the moment I built their new cage. But I haven't been putting their poop/pee in there, so that's a brilliant idea!

I've decided to restrict their exercise to just one room so I can track their accidents and clean appropriately, thank you!

The shoe box is probably not a good idea if it's just a cardboard shoe box, because the pee will soak right through.

Keep in mind bunnies that are not neutered will not have great litter habits as they reach puberty, they'll mark everywhere until they are fixed.

Keep in mind bunnies that are not neutered will not have great litter habits as they reach puberty, they'll mark everywhere until they are fixed.

Yeah I've read about that, but the bunny savvy vets I've found will do the spaying when they are 5 months old, or older. So I have to try to keep the training in the mean time, 4 more months to go x)

The shoe box is probably not a good idea if it's just a cardboard shoe box, because the pee will soak right through.

I thought about that! I put some extra newspapers and such to try, I plan on getting an actual litter box one they're big enough to actually be able to reach it. They're so small, even the smallest litter box I found was too tall for them

Latest posts

Back