Litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmiddle07

Reaction score
I gave Storm the opportunity to pick an overall corner to go, however he did go all over the cage for territorial purposes - so I read. I"m using Carefresh Natural all over the cage and the litter box. I have placed his hay holder and his bowl on the litterbox. He does like to hang out on the litterbox and he does go in it, but also all over the cage. I eventually would like to use litter in the box only and use a fabric pad on the bottom of the cage. He is only 2 months and I have only had him for 5 days. I know it will take some time, but should I be doing anything else? Will he just eventually just catch on. When I let him out the cage in a confided area with the ability to jump back in his cage, he rarely uses it on the floor. I may find a dropping or two but that's it. Don't know if that means anything or not.

You do not want to put bedding in any part of the cage other than the litter box. If you have carefresh all over the cage, then he will think that the whole cage is his litter box. If you want to switch him to fleece (the fabric that you should use) then put fleece down over the whole cage. Then put the litter box in the cage with your litter of choice in there. If the box is in a spot that he likes he will generally go there. You will want to make sure that you do not have a corner litter box. Those are generally to small for the rabbit, and rabbits tend to not like them. With the fleece, you will want to make sure that you have AT LEAST 2 sets if not 3 or more for his cage. That way when one is in the wash you have another that can go straight in. I like to get fleece at Walgreens. They have fleece blankets there that are 50"x60" for $4. I recently bought 6 of them. Good luck with litter training. We are always more than happy to help :)

Now that makes perfect sense! I will be making a trip to Walgreens tomorrow :) Thanks, Ladies!

Agreed, just put the litter in the litter box. Litter anywhere else is just confusing. Personally if he has a solid bottom, I'd give him at least a few days of just the litter box with litter and the solid bottom before putting something soft in there. Rabbits are notorious for loving to pee on soft things.

I was concerned about him peeing on it. Considering he is so young, new to my home, and not neutered - I'm trying to really do it right to help him be successful at this. I really hate the wood and paper sheddings in his long hair so much. Even with the fleece I'm concerned about it getting bunched up and him trying to possibly eat it.

If you are worried about the fleece moving around you cold put something heavy in each corner to keep it in place. For my cage I use binder clips to attach it to the shelf. Also the pee comes right out when you wash the fleece. I am actually supposed to be doing a load of it right now hehe :)

One thing to keep in mind, ours pee in their pan, but leave poop all over the hutch, which is normal for even neutered rabbits. Only had one out of 37 rescues that only used her litter box--the neatest little bunny we ever had living with us. We're happy as long as they pee in the pan so I guess we have very limited aspirations.

Well that's good to know. I don't want to expect too much if he doesn't do it exactly right. I did notice that since his litter box was a bit dirty that he cleared the litter in a particular area in his cage so that he could lie down. I haven't taken the litter out yet since I just put it in 2 days ago.

Latest posts

Back