Litter Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayhaylizw

Reaction score
I am having a hard time getting Bubbles to go to the bathroom in just a specific area. At first, she did it right next to her food and water bowl. Then, i gathered her mess and put it in a corner to show her where to do it. After that, she decided to go in the little room in her hutch where she sleeps. She has moved all of the hay that was there and pushed it aside and done her business right in the middle of the room. She is apparently ok with the fact that she steps in her pee and poop every day, but I'm not! Does anybody have any tips? I am DESPERATE!!:pullhair:

Put a couple litter boxes in the areas where she tends to go the most. Add some poops to each box at first so she knows what they're for. After she seems to be going in the boxes, you can remove one at a time until you're only left with one.

Our first bunny, Nibbles, caught on very quickly and has never had issues with using his box. Junie, our second bunny, kinda got the idea, but wasn't great until she was spayed. If your bunny isn't spayed it might not take until she is.

Well with Agnes she definitely told me where she wanted her litterbox. I tried and tried to "relocate" it but with no success. I like Meredith's suggestion of a couple letterboxes where she has chosen and go from there.
Good luck!

Thanks you guys!! I will try that suggestion Meredith:) she is not spayed yet and my mom doesn't want her to get spayed because it is expensive$$! Quick question: what should I use for the litter in the box? I've heard not to use cat litter...

Yeah, you don't want to use the regular clumping cat litter. There's all kinds of stuff at the pet store that's okay. Some people use Carefresh, others use a cheap wood pellet (it has to be a certain kind though...I forget which is okay). We use Eco Bedding (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3553919).

I would start saving money for her to be spayed. It is expensive (we paid $320, but you can find cheaper than that, we just really like our vet!). It's important for females to be spayed because they have an insanely high risk of developing cancer by 3 years old (something like 80% I believe). I don't know if you get an allowance or if you have a summer job, etc., but even if you saved just $100 a year for two or three years you should have enough. Maybe your parents would be willing to split the cost with you?

Thanks!!! I will go look for some good litter. I will try my best to save money to get her spayed!! Right now I am saving up for an outside play pen...but after that I'll get straight to work! Since my parents paid for her bunny hutch I probably am on my own for getting her spayed..but I do get an allowance and I babysit. We also have a system at my house called "Bunny Bucks." If I do extra chores around the house, (cleaning dishes, vacuum) then I get one bunny buck (equals one dollar) that I can use to buy bunny stuff for bubbles:). Again thanks a lot!! I really appreciate it!!:D
:thanks:

The pellet kind is Yesterdays News. You can also use (some) pellets, like from pellet stoves apparently. Avoid clay clumping cat litters for sure, because the dust is super bad for bunnies.

Take your time with Bubbles, and start asking parents/friends for bunny-money. Sooner you can get her fixed, the better~!

I went to wal mart and got some sort of "special kitty" cat litter that's just recycled paper. I think it was like $4 for a giant bag! I also cut up some paper into small strips because that's what he used for bedding / litter at the pound. It makes it nice and cushy for him :)

Make sure whenever you see them using the litter box you praise them as well. :)

She didn't like the boxes i set out for so she would knock them over!! So I went out of town for a while (my grandmother kept her) and when i came back Bubbles had pooped and peed in the two clumps of hay that my grandmother put in the corners of her hutch! so then the next day i saw her getting ready to eat the dirty hay so i have recently just been putting hay in her food bowl (additional to the hay in the corners) so she won't eat the dirty hay..blech. At first when i put hay all over the floor of the hutch she just pooped and peed where she pleased in the hay. So i have figured out that the hays the key...

Yes that's actually pretty normal. Buns will often chomp on their hay while they do their business. Glad you found a solution!

We litter trained all of the kits by putting hay in the litter box. They were all pretty much trained by the time they were 7 weeks old. :)

wow. early training!!! Thats awesome. Although i have noticed that Bubbles has eaten less hay than before she started going to the bathroom in it..

My female rabbit use to pee poo at her tray pen. Only at times she poo outside the tray pen. But off late she been pooing more outside and sometimes do pee outside.
Should I be worried. She's not spayed yet.

Latest posts

Back