Litter Training?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rita1234

Reaction score
The lady at the pet store told me to put down aspen bedding in all of her cage but her litter box, where I put critter litter. Is this a good idea? How do you go about training a rabbit, I've only ever trained a cat or a dog so I have no idea!:)

I think it is so your little bun csn tell the difference between it's litter box and the rest of it's cage. For my bunns I got newspaper and shredded it for there litter box and then just laid the full sheets throughout the rest of there house so they can tell the difference from the texture and it was much cheaper hen actual bedding.

My bedding is aspen shavings and my litter is bunny litter (they're like little circular pieces that are grey) is there any easily clean able types of flooring that I can use for litter training? I don't want it to get nasty while she's learning.

OK cause i've heard that wooden shvings put your little bun at a higher risk of cancer or health issues when they hit the age of 4 or 5. I don't know if it's true or not but that's what I've been hearing.

I don't think it's true about aspen shavings...cedar and pine maybe.

What do you put on the bottom of your rabbit's cage instead of bedding? I want to litter train her but she's still peeing and pooping outside of the litter box so what do you put down instead of bedding that is easy to clean and won't get all over her?

Aspen is fine and so is kiln dried pine as the kiln drying removes all the phenols. Cedar is never okay to use. We mainly located the litter pan where our bunny would void. Funny thing is all but one use the left back corner, so that's where their pans are.

Q-tip uses the back right corner. I put newspaper down on the bottom of her cage in case she misses, so it's really easy to clean up. Just wait and see where your bunny likes to use the bathroom and stick the litter box there. Q-tip had littertrained herself with in a day like that. If she misses the box, put whatever she misses in with the litter so she knows that's where to go.

With the baby I just got I have wood pellets in her box and an old flannel pillow case in the rest of the cage. So far 100% of pee in the box and about 50% poop. I have had her for 2 days.

I put her food bowl and hay in the box. I pick up all her poops and put them into the box.

I did this with my boy and he has been 100% box trained for 2 years - granted he wasn't 100% with his poop until after his neuter.

Latest posts

Back