Litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our little guy is somewhere between 2-3 years old we believe, and I would love to have him litter trained. Is it possible to do it with them when they are that old? I keep reading about marking and ages under a year, but with a 2yr old I've read nothing. Am I just missing it? :?

I would say it's still possible. When I adopted Pumpkin she was 2 years old. After about a year, she's fully litter trained now. A rabbit will pick a corner to do business in. Just put the litterbow there.

Putting food and hay in the litterbox helps too.

It's totally possible, theoretically. I did a pair of seven year olds, so I don't see why 2-3 year olds can't do it.

It might take some time, so be patient with him and be consistent and persevere. The link in the Bunny 101 forum is ace, and the search function might also help you too.

Good luck.

Definitly possible. I litter trained an 8 year old bun and her 5 year old daugther last year. For the majority of their lives they lived in a tiny wire cage, and have never been litter trained before.

It took a good three weeks or so of daily accident clean up, but they got it. I took all soft things out of the cage, but dirty in the litter boxes and cleaned the cage out with vinegar about three times a day. They would pee outside of the litter box, and I would wipe it up with paper towell, put that in the litter box then mist the area down with vinegar water (50/50 mix) and wipe that up.

It was frustrating at first, but once they got it they never made a mistake again. They are my best litter box users now.

It will take patience, and the bunny should be neutered for maximum effectiveness. And no your guy is not too old to neuter if he hasn't been done already.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back