Litter Training Success!! (half way there anyway)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganc731

Reaction score
Woo hoo!! We had success tonight. Our poorbunny... we weren't quite ready to bring home Mr. Wiggles before myhusband had to go on a business trip, we didn't have the base to hiscage made yet, so to make due we put him in our bathroom with a rug onthe floor. He's peed and pooped everywhere but his litter box (I hadfilled it with that woody's bedding) so tonight we were working on thebase for his cage and moving him out of the bathroom into the livingroom. I was trying to come up with the best solution to keep his cageeasy to maintain and clean until he got the hang of the litter box.First we covered the base with the carpet/rug and duct taped it to thebottom, next I laid a couple of piddle pads inside and then put a pieceof carpet cut to go over everything (that way when he peed on thecarpet it wouldn't get the base piece dirty too) then I put his litterbox on top of that in the corner where he likes to go and I put a pieceof carpet in the bottom of that. Tonight I was so surprised to see thatthere wasn't pee anywhere but the box!

My plan of attack now is to let him get comfortable going in the box,and then slowly add bedding on top of the carpet, once I get himconverted to bedding, I'm going cut a wire grill to go in his litterbox.

He's such a cool guy, I can't say little, I weighed him today, he's 9 pounds :)

I've been giving him a cup of food a day, but it seems to take him thewhole day and into the night before he's done with it, should he beeating all day long?

I'm having a hard time finding papaya tablets, fresh papaya, driedpapaya, or a pineapple for less than $15, is there some place online Ican buy something for the hairballs? Is there any other food that doesthe trick?

Thanks a bunch!

Megan

One more thing I forgot, is there anyway to tell if a basket has treated wood or not? It's not stained I can tell that.

Megan

GOOD LORD that is expensivefor !I only give my girls that and papaya and mango so anyone? Iwould say wait on an experts advice for the petromalt as we have somegreat ones here! (plus I cantsay on the treated wood or not,sooooo......all I really wanted to say about your litter box trainingis...... Itssuch a great feeling when you have accomplished such a feat!Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cher

LOL Thanks a lot! I was so worried that he maynever get used to using the box, even if it means I have to replace thecarpet daily for him, I'm happy :)

Megan

Well done Meganc731 - good things come to thosethat wait. I gave Perry and Pernod their forst bit of dried Papayayesterday - they pushed it with their noses and looked at me as thoughI was trying to poison them. I kept saying 'Look, it's goodfor you, and it cost mommy a lot of money, so please eat it'.

Hope you have betterluck

Jan

Hahaha That's cute. Mr. Wiggles seems pretty opento trying new things, so we'll see what he thinks. I think I'mgoingto dig out some papaya from my bird's seed, that shoulddo for now.

Megan

My boys will eat anything. They've had everythingfrom their pellets to marshmellows and licorice (my parents did it! Notme!). They love everything and anything that they can chew.

We just bought a pineapple and dried it in a food dehydrator, I don'tknow how much it cost but it goes a long way and is way cheaper thanstore bought treats that are not as beneficial for the furballs. Myboys go nuts for it and it's almost their favorite treat.

That's a good idea, we have a food dehydrator but I've never been able to make it work... maybe I should try again :)

Megan

Latest posts

Back