Litter Training Question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveMyRabbit0910

Reaction score
My bunny Elvis is a little over a year old..I've had him for 5 1/2 months now...I'm thinkin I should litter train him. Is it too late or not? Can rabbits learn at any time in their lives? If so, can someone give me any tips on what would be the easiest way? I'd appreciate the help!!

What is his set-up at the moment? Does he have a litter box that he just doesn't use or is he in a wire bottom pen, or ???

He should have a particular area where he likes doing his business, hopefully just be putting a litter box in that spot filled with poops and pee, that will do it. (I usually put the pee on a tissue and bury it under the litter).

sas :bunnydance:

:brown-bunny:brown-bunny

I just recently bought him a wire bottom cage, because my boyfriend said that'd be the best set up since he wouldnt be walking in pee. I just put a litter box in his cage earliertonight..all he's doing is chewing on the box and sniffing it. I'm not really sure he knows why it's there. I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to get him to do his business in the litter box? Is it okay to use newspaper? Or should I put bedding in there? Never had to do this before, so I need help!

You can use newspaper.Others prefer shavings (aspen, not cedar or pine), kiln dried wood pellets, recycled newspaper pellets, Carefresh, etc. A lot of rescues use the wood pellets (either wood stove, horse stall, or cat litter--they're all the same!) because they're cheap, easy to get and really cut the odour down.

He won't know what it's for unless you put some of his pee and poop in there. Putting some hay in the box will encourage him to get into it. Once he starts munching hay, nature should take its course. ;)

Also, is he neutered? Neutered rabbits are easier to train than non-neutered rabbits. Though intact rabbits can learn to use the litter box. They just tend not to be as good about their litter box habits as neutered rabbits.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Latest posts

Back