Litter training and stained paws

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QueenMab

Reaction score
Hello,
my bunny Emilio just came home, he's a plush lop, 7 weeks old. I live in a flat with balcony, he lives in his cage (900x500mm). He's not using his litter tray, he just poos and pees all over his cage. He also have yellow stained feet (he was already like that when I picked him up), how can I clean his paws without causing damage?
In the litter tray I use recycled paper and hay as suggested.
Apart from that he's very sweet, he likes to be cuddled and he's curious, I love him!
I can't wait for him to start hopping around!

I'm not really good at math, is 900x500mm really big? @.@ the key is to start of in a small area and whenever he has accidents outside the litter box, pick up his poo and throw them in (the litter box) so he learns that he has to go there to do his business. My boys have stained feet too, a result of negligence on the breeder's part (allowing them to sit, eat and sleep in their pee).

whenever I'm cleaning them I simply carry them up and gently clean their pads with puppy wipes. they won't like it at first but I'll give them treats after to tell them that cleaning won't hurt them and if they behave, they get treats. it helps, they come running begging for me to clean them haha :D

We use unscented baby wipes for cleanups. Ours all have a pan in the back left corner, except for Peter--he moved his to the right front corner, so that's where it stays. Just a matter of finding the right spot.

If the cage is really big you could try a couple of litter pans to see where he likes it, or if you notice that he is using one corner inparticular move the box. I have mopped up urine with a kleenex and pushed it under the litter so that the smell is there. I noticed at the vets the other day that they had a product that you can put into litter boxes to encourage cats to use them. Wonder if it is safe for rabbits. You could ask.

thanks for your replies, the cage is not big, I'm scooping up poo and putting it in his tray, let's see if it works.
I cleaned him yesterday with some water and shampoo but the stains won't go away. Also, because he poops all over he keeps stepping on it.
I hope I will be able to train him soon because Emilio's poop is becoming the main conversation between myself and my boyfriend!!

7 week old bunnies poop everywhere. It's like a trail. They have no control yet.

Patience is needed. It will get better. You are doing exactly what is needed by putting his poop in the box. He'll get it. But expecting a 7 week old to catch on to the litter box immediately is a pipe dream. It does take time and he will learn.

I watch my 6 week old learn about the litter box. He pees in it every time. But poop, that's another animal in itself. But he is doing good. And at 9 weeks, totally on schedule.

Patience and time. It's amazing what bunny can accomplish when they mature.

K :)

gmas rabbit wrote:
If the cage is really big you could try a couple of litter pans to see where he likes it, or if you notice that he is using one corner inparticular move the box. I have mopped up urine with a kleenex and pushed it under the litter so that the smell is there. I noticed at the vets the other day that they had a product that you can put into litter boxes to encourage cats to use them. Wonder if it is safe for rabbits. You could ask.
Putting a cleanex soaked in his urine was the best advice, now he pees in his tray! Still pooping around though...
I have another question: is it normal that his bum is a bit dirty (and the hair around his tail too) or it should be clean like the rest of his fur? I'm finding hard to pick him up and clean him because he runs away :(

Babies will learn to clean their bum as they get older. When I got Neville at 6 weeks, I was constantly pulling poo out of his fur. Now it's not so bad at 9 weeks. I know it's tough trying to get a squirmy baby to hold still to clean his bum, but you should try. I found out wearing gloves, flipping him over and using a good grooming comb helps keep Neville clean. Definitely invest in gloves. They are worth it.

K :)

eta: Congratulations on getting your bunny to pee in his litter box. The poop will come in time. Neville is hitting the mark more and more each time. Except when he runs the floor. Then you have the trail. But I know it will get better, because I've seen how Dobby and Kreacher (got them at 8 weeks) have done. No poop trails for them.

Latest posts

Back