Litter question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junior_n_sweetpea

Reaction score
O.k. we have tried several different kinds of litter:

Aspen chips- economical & absorbant-no odor control

Wood pellets/feline pine- not very economical butmasks odors well

Carefresh-Absorbant, but also pricy

I understand the dangers of the clumping litters, but hasanyone used plain old kitty litter? I usually put a layer of hay overthe litter and have never seen them eat the actual litter. They don'teven dig in the litter boxes so I don't think they would eat it. Itwould be so much more economical but I'm leary of using it because itis so often discouraged. Does anyone use it successfully? Any horrorstories from using it? Or does anyone have any cheaper alternatives forlitter? We change the litter every day so I'm hoping for a cheaperalternative without sacrificing odor control.

do not use clay litter !!!! it can be eaten andthe causes death stay away from cedar as well, i use kay cob, its corncobs ground up, it draws the urine to the bottom of the box so therabbit is walking on dry litter it works really well but is a litllepricey

hope this helps.

I thought I heard somewhere that corncob litterwas bad for them as well. That it could cause an intestinal blockage.I'm not sure where I read it though.

I don't have any house bunnies at the presenttime, but didabout four years ago. Mickey was thelast one...mini Rex buck...already an adult by the time I brought himin the house because he was sick. I took a round feed pan,like you find in the farm stores to use for hogs, and rigged some floorwire over the top...bending it down some on the inside of thepan. I used the regular old, cheapest cat litter, $1.98 for20 pounds at Wal Mart...cuz that's what I use for cats and for myskunk. I soaked up Mickey's pee in a piece of paper towelingand placed that in the cat litter...under the wire. Mickeyalways peed in that pan...never touching the litter. Now, the"raisens" were a different story!!! But I had a couple ofdogs who helped clean up some of them. I'd pick up some ofthem and throw them in with my house plants. The sweeper gotthe rest of them.

That's a great idea! I think I may try to see ifI can make something like that. I know what you mean about the dogshelping clean up the poo. My dog just loves those little organic CocoaPuffs...Ack!

Organic cocoa puffs?!?!?! Wait till Iget back up off of the floor!!! Oh, my, but I've never heardthem called that before! Well anyway, that pan worked outpretty good. Actually, it can be any kind ofacontainer...shape...I just used what I had available. Just soit's a height that your bunny can get up & down from. -----Organic cocoa puffs!

I've been using carefresh for my 2 rabbits, at$20 a bag it's pretty expensive, I tried a knock off brand that I foundat Patsmart, but it didn't mask odor at all and wasn't very absorbent.Are there any cheeper and equally good alternatives to carefresh litter?

I have been usinga productcalled Woody Pet Professional animal bedding. It isabout $5.00 for a 40 lb bag. Our good friend Buck Jones usesit and was telling us about it so I thought that I would try itout. It does very well in taking away the urineodor. It is also heavy so, if you have a bun who likes tomove the litter box around, it does not spill out aseasily. It can be found in the Tractor Supplystores. I have been very happy with this product sofar. It has been the best product for odor control out of allthe products that I have tried. :)Beckie

My husband just came home from Rural King with a30lb. bag ofwood pelletscalled Pestell PremiumHorse and Stable bedding. It is pelleted wood just like the pelletlitter. It was $4.98. I think we may have just hit the jackpot!

junior_n_sweetpea wrote:
My husband just came home from Rural King with a 30lb. bagofwood pelletscalled Pestell Premium Horse andStable bedding. It is pelleted wood just like the pellet litter. It was$4.98. I think we may have just hit the jackpot!
how is thatstuff? i just stopped at big r and saw that stuff wasnt sureif it was safe or not so i didnt get any instead i got acouple bags of the corn cob litter.

brimmhere wrote:
junior_n_sweetpea wrote:
Myhusband just came home from Rural King with a 30lb. bagofwood pelletscalled Pestell Premium Horse andStable bedding. It is pelleted wood just like the pellet litter. It was$4.98. I think we may have just hit the jackpot!
how is thatstuff? i just stopped at big r and saw that stuff wasnt sureif it was safe or not so i didnt get any instead i got acouple bags of the corn cob litter.
That's one of the products that is very similar to Woody Pet.

Woody Pet is also use for horse bedding.

oh awesome! i think ill start buyingthat then as the woody pet stuff i can not find any where aroundhere! i put the corn cob in the bottom tray of the cage andfor now ive just got regular food pellets in her litter box.doesnt seem to mind that but would like to find something to absorb aswell as control order well. thanx a bunch!

Latest posts

Back