Litter question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitloversd

Reaction score
I am new to the group and pretty new to owning rabbits. I had a dwarf rabbit as a child but that was many years ago. I recently got 2 female rabbits from Runnings: Sookie and Bella. I have been changing there litter pan that is underneath there cage almost daily because of the amount that they potty. They have no access to this litter pan so I was wondering if its ok to use a scoopable cat litter in their pan to control odor and be able to scoop out just the areas instead of the entire pan. Any advice would be helpful.

i could be wrong, but i do think when they inhale it, it upsets them . i think that is why cat litter isnt a good choice. try putting juste a puppy pad in the bottom . that what you just pick that up and your done cleaning :)

You could also try a compressed wood pellet litter. Very cheap to buy, absorbs odour very well and it is pretty easy to see where the litter is soiled if you want to spot scoop between full cleans. It expands when it gets wet and when fully saturated it darkens in colour.

I would avoid using any clay based litter because the particles can be breathed in and can cause respitory problems.

-Dawn

I sometimes use cat litter in my bunnies litter boxes, since they have a grate and can't even touch their litter....never had an issue with the dust because since they can't touch it, it doesn't stir up. I only do this when I run out of wood stove pellets and don't have time to go get some :p.

Latest posts

Back