Litter preference

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
Do any of your bunnies prefer a certain type of litter? When I first got Cocoa I was always using Yesterday's News. I switched to All Pet Pine because it is cheaper and just as good. After I switched, I didn't understand why Cocoa kept peeing outside of his box after I would clean it. I know he didn't do that before.

Soooo last week I bought Yesterday's News again because the store I was at did not have the litter I normally use. Now that I'm using Yesterday's News again for Cocoa, he has not peed outside the box at all! I am so happy. I think the reason he was having problems before is because he must not like the scent of the All Pet Pine. Even though Yesterday's News is more expensive I think I'll stick with it since Cocoa seems to like it better!!

:biggrin2:

My Dutch mix doe Goobie absolutely refuses to use the litter box if I dare to use Feline Pine or a variety there of. Brat.

I find that YN works well with my crew. It holds the odor for a few days.

I use Yesterday's News. I tried a couple kinds of wood stove pellets and wanted to like them because they are so much cheaper, but I really hated the way they smell. So, I went back to YN.

No I have never tried the wood pellets. I have heard of them but haven't given them a shot yet. I don't know if I should switch Cocoa's litter again - he wouldn't be too happy about that! haha

Wabbitdad12 wrote:
Have you ever tried (kiln dried) wood pellets? They work, I think, better at absorption and odor control then Yesterday's News.

Vinny came from a cage with a wire bottom floor, so I don't know what he "prefers", but I use wood stove pellets for our bunny's and our ferrets litterboxes (don't worry, the bunnies & ferrets aren't together lol).

Poodle & Prince had wood stove pellets in their litterboxes at the rescue we got them from, and we used the same here.

I use wood stove pellets, and will always use them. It's cheap! Why pay all this money for a bag of expensive litter that just gets peed & pooped on and tossed into the trash :p? I use a canvas screen over my litter boxes anyway, so the buns aren't sitting on the wet/gross litter.

For the rats I decided to try a bag of Carefresh Ultra for the base of their cage, but the smell isn't pleasent and the price is nuts. When I finish off this bag, I am just going to switch them over to a large bag of Aspen shavings from Petco. I think the huge bag is like $15 and will last me months. I don't like Aspen all that much because it's a tad dusty, but the rats only go to the base of the cage to pee and poo...nothing more.

:)

oh yes, mybunnies are quite picky with litter! I started them all on Yesterday's News but switched to Equine Fresh because many people here said it's cheap and great. When I switched, my bunnies "forgot" how to use their litter boxes. Also, I personally hated the smell of Equine Fresh...it made me feel ill so I switched back to YN, and we're all happy :)

-Kathy

Latest posts

Back