Litter options

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charmander

Reaction score
So I have a lop, she was always rambunctious and picky. But slowly I have figured out what she likes so she stops being a little menice. Except I haven't figured out or tried anything for her Still digging in her litter box. I switched hays until I found the one she liked (sunseed Timothy hay because it have thinner pieces) plain pellets that she will actually eat, a bigger litter box that clips to the wall so she can't move it. But she still digs out the litter. I haven't tried switching the brand yet but I've tried reducing the amount and she likes it when there isn't as much litter and changed more often, but still digs in it somehwhat just not as much, and I have tried putting some hay in it but no go. No I don't have her spayed yet and I know it might be because of that, but I'm just wondering what other people use for litter. I have a cat litter that's made from organic wheatgrass, the pet store told me that what I should get. Pink and green bag. Is there anything else I can try to use other than wheatgrass cat litter

Most people on here use Wood stove pellets, or recycled newspaper pellets. You could try giving her a heavier litter like that to see if she doesn't dig that. Ive used Swheat Scoops for my rabbits for the last.... 10 or so years with great success. However I don't think that would solve your problem. You can always just try different brands and see what the 2 of you like best.
It sounds like she might be a princess and just like having a clean box. IMO Boxes should be scooped daily.
Have you thought of making a grate out of Light Diffuser (eggcrate) with little legs, so she cant touch the litter at all?

---> There are to be NO negative comments about the Cat litter from anyone on here. Cat litter made from items like grass, wheat, corn, etc are totally bunny safe. Despite them being totally edible and fully digestible I would advise against their use for bunnies that decide to eat the litter.

have you tried wire grids to place on the litter? (poop and pee falls through the grid) and if she tries to dig she'll just hit the grid

Thanks for your comments, I will try your suggestions. No I haven't tried a grate, when I bought her the newer bigger litterbox there was the same one with a grate for $5 more but she was doing better at that point so I didn't think I needed it lol

I have a quick different subject bunny crisis though.. I woke up this morning to go to work and give her morning pellets, and her cage was open and she was gone! She ended up being in my roommates room under his bed I had to coax her out with treats.. Now, I have a large dog pen that you have to swing and arm up to unlock it then lift up the entire huge door to open it. My boyfriend thinks she got out by herself, but I'm just not sure if she could, I think one of my roommates let her out because they've been acting stupid lately but my boyfriend assured me when he went to bed so was everyone else. He's going to put a lock on it for the time being. The thing is, I've had this cage for.months now and she's never got out before. But I have a wooden toy attatched to it now, he thinks she was playing with it aggressively and somehow got it loose. I just, iduno. It seems bunny proof.. What do you think? I'll try to find a pic of the cage and post it.

Okay its like this one but big. There is the door the dog is coming out of and a door on the left side too. If you look closely you can see the arm that you have to swing upwards, and then you literally lift the door up so the side prongs arent attached to the rest of the cage and open.

76347.jpg

I have dog crates like the one in the picture. Sometimes when you close them, the locking assembly (for lack of a better word) or latch doesn't fall into place properly, then the door can be pushed open from the inside or the outside. Right now I'm using my small crate as a hedgehog cage. I feed the hedgehog high quality cat food, and my cats go nuts at the smell of it. Just the other night I filled his food dish and took him out of his cage for a run. I thought the door was closed, but when I went to put him back in his cage later the dish was empty and there was a cat nearby, licking his chops.

In my opinion there's no such thing as a cage door that you don't have to double check by shaking or tugging to make sure it's closed. When I worked at a ferret shelter with Ferret Nation cages, a strict rule was that we were to tug on every cage door to double check it at the end of each shift. FN cages have strong spring loaded locks. Occasionally people failed to check, and I'd arrive at my shift to find all of the ferrets running loose. In the past I've lost two canaries because the guillotine-style cage doors which are supposed to drop into place on their own, didn't. I now hook a dog leash clip to each door to add weight so it will be more likely to fall into place, and I can see at a glance if the door is closed.

And speaking of escapes, I had a hair raising one happen yesterday. My 6 inch tarantula, who lives in a 10 gallon tank with a metal screen top, managed to lift the top off of her tank and escape. She's been in that cage for over a year. Luckily she's kept in my closed bedroom. Thankfully she tends to sit out in the open instead of hiding, and I found her in my closet. Now there's a heavy brick on top of her tank.

Yeah but the funny thing is I've had this cage for months and I always open the door you see the dog coming out of, not the door on the left. She happened to get out of the one of the left, so it would've had to had been loose for a while and she just noticed now lol well now I have 2 small locks on the doors with the key just beside the cage where I keep her food so it won't happen again. Thanks for the stories!

Latest posts

Back