Litter Boxes and Rabbits Over 10 Pounds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
This question is for those of you who have rabbits over 10 pounds.

How many times a week do you change your rabbit's litter box?I started Sherman off at once a week, then for odor control I went totwice a week. Now I'm wondering if I should change it everyother day. He really poops a lot! :(

I was trying to save money on the litter that I use (Yesterday's News),but at this point I don't think it's worth it--I just need to keepchanging the box!

Do you have a pooper scooper, Bunnymommy? I scoop the poop out.

I also use Yesterday's News and I really like it. I've alsofound an alternative that Buck Jones introduced me to that you can getat Tractor Supply Companies..it's called WoodyPet AnimalBedding. It's much cheaper if you can find it. Imay be trying that soon, but I do really like the YesterdaysNews.

I have litterboxes in my living room that get changed every couple ofdays. Since I scoop the poop, I gauge it on how soiled thelitter gets.

-Carolyn

Well, duh... ...I never thought of that!!! And I have a Pooper Scooper right next toSherman's cage!

Great idea, Carolyn!

Thanks so much! :)

P.S. Do you put hay in Tucker's litterbox? I put some in Sherman's so that he can becomfortable. I put the hay that I want him to eat in his hayrack. So far it's working out well. When he doeseat the hay that's in his litter box he eats it from a corner that hedoesn't soil.

Nope, BunnyMommy. I don't put hay inTucker's litterbox. I think I did for a short time gettinghim trained, but I didn't do it for long.

Tucker responded more to the cheers and treats he'd get after he'd 'getin the box'. Til this day, he'll try to fakeit! Uh...I don't think so Tucker-Bucker!

-Carolyn

*laughs* I'm serious, BunnyMommy.

He will jump in the box, squat for a split second and then comeskidding onto the couch with his nose in the air as high as it'll goand sniffing towards the treat basket while staring straight at it.He's not subtle!

I say, "Forget it, Tucker! You didn't do your duty! You're a Con!"

He'll sometimes give me one lick or two on the nose and then back tothe nose in the air with the stretching neck and body towards the treatbasket.

"Nope, Tucker! Liar's and brown- nosers don't get treats in this house!"

-Carolyn

Thanks BunnyMommy. You're cracking me up. I just roll my eyes and think, 'Here we go again!'

He finally gives up and then the little stinker has the audacity to give Me the cold shoulder!

I still can't believe he thinks I'm going to fall for that trick. He'sgoing to be 3, I've had him since he was 8 weeks. He must really thinkI'm dumb!

-Carolyn

Woodypet Professional Animal Bedding , TractorSupply Company(or query Woodypet.com for local retailer)@ $4.99 per30lb bag. It is a granulated wood product that has all thetoxic chemicals baked out of it. After absorbing moisture,it drys and dissipates into asawdust-like substance, which is not particularlydusty. One need not change very frequently as per theinstructions, but I do scoop out the used and replace it on a dailybasis, as buns sometimes will refuse to use litter that is too dirty,in their estimation.

Buck

Hmmm, Buck, this sounds just like the price range and size that I'm looking for! ;)

Thanks for the tip!

Greetings Bunnymommy,

Those new pictures in as your avatar crack me up! Shermanreally blew it this time. He can't give you that look likehe's innocent. Of course, if there wasn't evidence, Iwouldn't've believed it for myself. ;)

-Carolyn

Oh, yes, the innocent look that he gaveme when he looked up in my face could have been bottled and sold forMILLIONS! :? LOL!

He did have the decency to slink off in shame without me havingto sayanything.

*laughs* I do think they have a sense of guilt.

-Carolyn

Oh my gosh Carolyn! How funny about Tucker andfaking that just to get a treat! That's hilarious, just goes to showthat rabbits are smart.

Latest posts

Back