litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zednon

Reaction score
I'm getting a new bunny soon, and I'll litter box train it, my cats uses worlds best litter, its a clumping litter, and I have litter robot. well it be too dangerise for the rabbit to use this litter? I can't really changen that litter in that box, because of how the eltric box works it has to be a clumping litter.

-Ana

You should never use the same litter for your rabbit that you use for cat. Cat litter can be very dangerous to rabbits.

Rabbits are very different from cats and VERY different needs than cats.

Also, it seems that you are going to have a free range bun, have you bunny proofed any area he/she has access too?

I'm plaining to get a flemish gaint, so I think they well just litteral need the space the first room they well use is my bedroom there's almost nothing in besides a bed really and the cords in there can easyly be blocked off. I am more worried about the bunny trying to use the box.

I agree that bunnies cannot use typical cat litter. The best types of litter, in my exeperience, are Yesterday's News and wood stove pellets. You can get the YN for cats, as long as it's unscented, as it's the same thing. Feline or equine pine are the same thing as wood stove pellets, so those are fine too.

Carefresh is also a good choice, but I find it expensive and not as absorbant.

Also, your bunny cannot use the same litter box that the cat is using. Cats have a lot of bacteria in their waste that can be very harmful to bunnies. The bun will need his own litter box in his own area.

Clumping cat litter is very dangerous for rabbits because if they ingest any of it can cause fatal blockages in their intestines.

I would make sure to block off the kitty litter box so that only the kitty can go in and the rabbit can't. If you are getting a big flemish, then by the time they are fully grown, they will be much bigger than the cat so you could put the litter box in an enclosure with a door that the cat can fit through but the rabbit can't. This would keep the bunny out but still let the cat use the box when ever they need to.

I personally use compressed wood pellets for my bunny litter and love it! The best out of all the litters I have tried. Super absorbent and holds odours very well.

-Dawn

I use world's best as well, it's a corn based clumping litter that is dust free. It isn't in my rabbit cage, but my rabbit does use the cat's box when she's out. Yes, she does have her own box outside the cage too.

Back