Litter Box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NetherlandDwarf

Reaction score
I take the little guy out everyday so he could run around, I also put out his littler box as well. I always put a towel underneath the litter box. He always does his business on the towel, but never in the litter box. He could have the whole run of the house, but he'll always run back to the room to use the bathroom on the towel. I am grateful for that, it's better than being throughout the house. So I tried a couple of things with him, where ever I laid the towel w/out the litter box he would always go on the towel, no matter what room i put the towel in. I tried the litter box without the towel, he went poop next to the litter box, but I didn't see him pee anywhere. In the cage he pees in the litter box, but for pooping, he poops everywhere lol. How could I start getting him to use just his litter box and not rely on the towel? should I get a bigger box, like a cat size litter box and maybe put the towel in there for when his out of his cage? Advice would greatly be appreciated!

Is he fixed? Than I will go from there.

Until he is neutered you may have to put up with the towel. Intact males are notoriously messy and I think you willpleasantly see changes (or be easier able to find a solution)after his hormones have diminished :)

Defo, I can't be bothered training Dippy until he's fixed!

Another concern is that maybe he can't get in the box? If he's a baby of a small breed, maybe he can't jump over the edges of the box. I'd put him in there and see if he can jump out, and if not, cut an opening in it so he can step out easily.

He uses the box to go pee in his cage, and its the same box I use when I take him out. he's very capable going in and out of it, he mostly likes to sit in it while eating when he's in his cage.

Thanks!

I guess I'm lucky... My two 6 month old baby buns picked up on using the litter box the first day I offered it to them! :cool:I actually was given advice from the rabbit rescue I volunteer at. I found out which corner my bun was using the most and put a litter box there. Since then she's been using it like crazy. Then when I got my second bun he saw her using that spot and started going too. They have started using another spot so I will probably put in another litter box. The thing is though, getting them fully litter trained with their poo, well I've never heard of that. :p

not to hijack this thread but...:threadhijacked:

All of my buns have this issue as well! all of them are fixed. the will sometimes go in the litter box, but more times than not they will go AROUND the litterbox. any suggestions?

I had the same problem, I just gota bigger litterbox :D.

I now use the bottom of a large (if you can consider 1x3 large!) pet store cage and that as my litterbox! Works really really well for my trio.

Bigger works better for my small buns, but Aiden and Cass (large breeds) seem to prefer smaller boxes.

Go figure.

Did you try putting the towel in the litter box? Maybe that would get him used to going in there....

Aly!:)

PS OH and did you see we beat the record for most users online tonight!

Update status:

Last night I went over to the store and bought a really big feline litter box. Just the pan, no lid or anything fancy. today,I made a wide hole on the end, but still left the brim in place and used the towel that he went potty all over yesterday on and put it in the box. If he really wanted to he could jump in and out of the box, but made the hole so it would be more appealing for the baby.. lol (the things we do)Got baby bunny out of the cage. He checked out his new potty box, he was really sniffing it & i'm sure he smelt his urine all over if. The next 20 minutes I sat on the floor with him playing, and he goes into his box and pees!!! I was soo happy. He hasn't pooped yet, so we will see how that will go, but at least he's using it for something so far! :D

Well the pooping part of it.... he is using the box to go poop half the time and the other half he is pooping next to the box. hopefully for now he'll get the hang of it, until he gets fixed in November!

NetherlandDwarf wrote:
Update status:

Last night I went over to the store and bought a really big feline litter box. Just the pan, no lid or anything fancy. today,I made a wide hole on the end, but still left the brim in place and used the towel that he went potty all over yesterday on and put it in the box. If he really wanted to he could jump in and out of the box, but made the hole so it would be more appealing for the baby.. lol (the things we do)Got baby bunny out of the cage. He checked out his new potty box, he was really sniffing it & i'm sure he smelt his urine all over if. The next 20 minutes I sat on the floor with him playing, and he goes into his box and pees!!! I was soo happy. He hasn't pooped yet, so we will see how that will go, but at least he's using it for something so far! :D

I really think once your bun is fixed(as he "has" the idea of going in the box) he will be just fine.. My bun pee'd only on towels as well when I first got him (and rescued him from the wild and I didn't know a Rabbit from a Owl - so he and I learned our collective behaviour together) but he NEVER poo'd in the box until he was fixed..

Now for 90% of the time he will poo in his kitty box (which is a "regular size" cat box with a puppy "wee-pad" in the bottom and hay over the top) but occasionaly he "poo's" outside (about 10 poos a day, so were not talking about alot).. He seems to do this to say "this space is mine: or its when he is upset with not getting the appropriate amount of treats or attention, but for the MOST part he uses his litterbox - which I am SO thankful for.

So sounds like you will get there - just get the Neutor done and I think you might find a different bun behaviour.

NetherlandDwarf wrote:
Update status:

Latest posts

Back