Litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babydoshia

Reaction score
I was wondering how you are supposed to set up alitter box for a bunny. I've already got a big litter box Ican use. Can I use regular cat litter. The kind Iuse for my catsis non clumping. It's just "SpecialKitty" from Walmart. Would that be alrite to use?Also, I've read on sites and seen in pictures that lots of people puthay on the top layer of the litter box. What is that for, andshould I do that? Wouldn't the rabbit eat it?

Thanx

-Madelon

Some cat litters, if eaten by your rabbit, may bepoisonous. "Clumping" cat litters can "clump" up a rabbit'sintestinal system leading to serious medical problems and/or death.

Suggest some safe litter like WoodypetProfessionalAnimalBedding orYesterday's News. Don't use cedar shavings that are oftendescribed as causing respiratory infections by chemically creatingtoxic fumes when combined with rabbit urine. Search archiveshere for more information on litter.

The hay in the litter box idea is to encourage them to use the litterbox. Speaking for myself and my buns, I would not want themeating where they poop and pee. Give 'em hay from a rack thatholds it off the floor.

Timothy hay is most often recommended, as alfalfa hay is ofttimesaccused of providing too rich a diet, in conjunction with alfalfapellets, leading to gastric problems. No complaints aboutTimothy Hay.

Buck

Babydoshia,

I would say, yes to the litter box and no to the cat litter.One really good litter to use is Aspenshavings (NOTPINE.) I get mine at Petsmart and usually pay about $ 7.00for a big bag that lasts about 2 - 3 months. I have one smallrabbit. I completely change his litter every 2 - 3 daysdepending on how it looks.

Everyone has their own preference on which litter to use, but twothings that I have read time and time again, is to stay away from Pineshavings and Cat litter.

It is definitely all right to put hay in the litterbox. As itencourages the bun to hop in, eat and take care of hisbusiness. Rabbits should have an unlimited amount of hay.

Wabbitwuv

wabbitwuv, the rabbit on your avatar looks just like my Mella. This is kinda an old picture, but check it out.

Back