Litter box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kporcella

Reaction score
Hello! I just got a 6 week old mini lop. She wasn’t litter box trained and housed in a pretty small enclosure outside. She’s now getting used to an extra large enclosure and inside. I read that rabbits won’t potty where they eat, but she seems to potty right next to her food dish on the hard top surface. I have a litter box on the opposite side of the enclosure on floor level. How can I encourage her to use the litter box, right now she just lays in it. Also any other tips and tricks would be awesome she’s my first ❤️Kayla P & Lou Lou

Attachments

• 57563C38-0920-407B-860B-0C8567779305.jpeg
    57563C38-0920-407B-860B-0C8567779305.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0
Bunnies poop when they eat, so I have always had their food and water next to their litter box. Also your bunny is really young and will learn where the litter box is but when the hormones kicks in they will stop being litter trained. You just need to keep on cleaning and correct the behavior until hormones calms down. It will help with spaying to get through with the hormonal period ☺️

Bunnies poop when they eat, so I have always had their food and water next to their litter box. Also your bunny is really young and will learn where the litter box is but when the hormones kicks in they will stop being litter trained. You just need to keep on cleaning and correct the behavior until hormones calms down. It will help with spaying to get through with the hormonal period ☺
Oh wow! Everything I read said the complete opposite! Thank you for the info I’ll move her food back to where it was then! What is the best way to “correct” the behavior. I cleaned up the potty spots were

Clean the area where she urinate with water-vinegar mix, it will hide the urine smell. Bunnies will go where they smell their previous urine.

Also have hay in the litter box it will help with the droppings going correct. You can use a napkin with your bunnies urine on and lay it in the box to make it smell like a toilet for her.

It will also help to not have any bedding or soft beds in the cage. It will help your bunny to learn where the litter box is and understand where to go.

Then you just need to clean a lot and if you see them to go somewhere wrong, you can herd them to the litter box. For example you see the tail lifting up, she’s ready to go and she’s at the wrong place. Go up to her and herd her to the litter box and when she goes, give a treat.

I still caught my bunnies sometimes trying to test me, I just say no and walk towards them and they run directly to the litter box. They are sneaky sometimes and want to do it. When I’m not in the room they don’t try to do it but when I’m with them, they will try. I have no idea why the try to push the rules, they won’t get any treats 🙄

Back