Litter box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMiska

Reaction score
Okay I have been reading posts on how somerabbits are little box trained. I bought a small litter boxand even put some of his (King Arthur) dropping in it, but he decidedit was a better bed than a litter box. How do I train him touse the box for what it was intended? I can introduce asmaller box for him to sleep in or should I try a smaller box fortraining? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How old is he?

We tried to train Benji when he was about 4 months old and it justdidn't work. He also ended up using the pan for a lounging pit.

A few months after he was neutered, we tried again and he caught right on. He's got great litter habit now.

We're trying to litter train Binkie now. She's about 4 months old. Sheuses the litter pan, but then digs all of the litter out of it so shecan lay in it afterwards. We're thinking of postponing the training fora bit until she matures and we have her spayed.

:~) Jim

Hi CMiska,

Some rabbits do love to lounge in their litter box.

When King Arthur does go poop in there, cheer him on. Tellhim what a good boy he is and perhaps give him a treat. Whenhe poops outside of it, scoop the poop and put it in the box.He'll get the hang of it.

Keep us posted. :)

-Carolyn

P.S. Here's the link about litter box training.http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=7&forum_id=1

Thumper was very easy to potty trained all idone was but some bedding in her litter box and scooped up her pea andpoo and put in in the little box and after about a week she just sat init and i gave her a treat for everytime she went potty in the rightspot but if she had a accident i would add it to the litter box aboutafter 2 weeks she got it she peas in there and poos out of her pottybox alot of the times but poo is alot easyer to clean up so i dont mindand actually thumper tought fay to use the potty

:)Ashley;)Thumper:DFayNayer

I am going to be safe to say he isabout2 to 2 1/2 mths old. Yes lounging is what heloves to do with it. I will try the treat suggestion and ifit doesnt work will wait for a few mths and try again

Thanks for all the advice

Practice makes perfect. Keep onreiterating it, CMiska. Some rabbits catch on faster thanothers, and it might take a week or two of you being persistent, butI'm sure it'll work - at least in getting your little one to urinate inthe box if nothing else - hopefully.

-Carolyn

I dont know if it's just my rabbit but he only'goes' when there is protection over his litter box. I tried for weeksto get him trained by leaving the litter box in an accessibleplace...but to no avail.

Eventually, after a trip to the vets, I put his carry box down and lethim run out. For that session he started using his carry box as atoilet. I left it in the same place for a few months. Eventually, Imoved the carry box under the computer desk (out the way, to give himprivacy)he still used it...later, I removed the lid so now it's justthe bottom of the carry box and to this day, he still uses it.

He'll only use it when it's clean though (I use newspaper), if for somereason it's left a little dirty, the good boy will go back and do it inhis cage litter box.

Hope that incoherent babble helps in some way.

Another thing, I think he's trained to do it on newspaper, because acouple of times when I'v left my newspaper on the floor, he's had anaccident on it, despite being perfect everywhere else.

At first, I found putting a little bit of hay in there helped attracthim in as well, I guess it's the in one end out the other philosophy.

...and he sleeps in his litter box in the cage, but when he's free, he prefers the couch.

Latest posts

Back