litter box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChelle

Reaction score
Ive only had my bun a couple of weeks.. almost a month?.. and at first I had him in his own room. His cage was in there, and a play pen. Took up almost the whole room lol. But me and my bf had to go out of town for work, and we took my bun. We were gone like a week, and when we got back, we found out the cat had been going to the bathroom in there the whole week. It ruined the carpets, so we had to replace them because our lease was almost up. So we moved him to the unfinished basement.

I felt bad for having him down there, so I connected his play pen to his cage so he has more room. And since I did that, he has pretty much litterbox trained himself. Only pee'd in his pen once or twice the first few mins, and then after that nothing. He has a few pellets around, but its not bad.

It would be easier to work on his litter box training down stairs, cause if he pee's, its easy to clean up (no carpet). But I want him to be upstairs with us. I have a little pen upstairs so he can visit us, but as soon as he gets in it, he goes to the bathroom everywhere. Im just worried that if I get him fully trained for the whole downstairs, when I transition him to upstairs, we will have to start over! And my bf isnt very forgiving when the bunn pee's on the carpet, so it would be rough. Anyone have any suggestions? Advice? Personal experiences to share? Any help would be appreciated

I think you could make it work. Try by using his personal things in the space, like snugglies or any toys, things that smell like him. I wouldn't use any carpet in his space for him to think of peeing on. Nothing else in the pen. See what happens. You could just make some adjustments after evaluating the situation then.:)

Keep us posted!:D

I would also use the litter tray he uses now and move that upstirs (complete with a couple of days worth of toiletting in it-so that he can smell it very strongly). And use a new litter tray downstairs in place of where he normally goes.

When it comes to upstairs and downstairs I would just make sure wherever he is he has a lot of litter trays that he realises are litter trays. If they don't get used, or he only uses one or two, you can move the others, but favourite places will probably be corners and edges.

With some of mine I started off with 6 litter trays in one NIC cage and then cut it down to two when I saw where they liked to toilet.

Latest posts

Back