Litter Box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orions_girl16

Reaction score
Hey,
I have a question, One of the rabbits I'm fostering- Gus, just refusesto go in a litterbox! The other one- Holly, goes in it but he justwont. I have a normal like kitty pan one that I was given from therescue and I have my own little corner one since I figured well maybethe other one is just to high since hes a Polish(short lil guy) but hejust wont do it..Ive tried hay inside it or next to it. He'llgo RIGHT infront of the big one, so i had put the smaller litter boxwhere he would always go..so then he goes on the other side of the cagein a corner..Its funny but at the same time its like "WHY WONT YOU USEIT?!!" Lol.. Holly uses it just fine but he refuses to do it. Cananyone help me out? Ive done reseach and read mag. and books andnothins doin it! Anyways, if anyone can help thatd be great! Thanks!
Take care,
Michelle!

How big is the area that you keep yourbunny? Is he/she in a cage? You might want to trycleaning up the pee with a kleenex and putting it in the litterbox andcontinue to clean up the messes. They will go where theysmell their urine.

The cage is one that I built with the Target wirestorage things..3 levels, 2 wide, 3 long, both of them stay in the cagetogether. I had tried that with my past rabbit Orion, but he was BIGbrat and would keep going the opposite side so i'd moving it back andforth Lol so after bout a month of that I just gave up and waslike.."okyou made it clear you just dont want to haveanything to do with it" Lol..Ill see if that'll work with him though!

Yeah, just keep cleaning up his mess and puttingit where it belongs (in the litterbox). He should catchon. Be sure to clean up the spot he peed in with vinegar sohe can't smell it in that spot. Good luck! :)

You can also try putting some fresh poops in thelitter box. That worked almost instantly for Sage.Basil just insists in going in the only corner of the cage where alitter box won't fit and Daisy...she gets it some of the time, but notalways.

Good Luck!

Jen

I've had Iszy for over a year now and shecontinues to make poo in the opposite corner of her cage.There is nothing I can do to stop her from doing this (as it isterritorial behavior). The only thing I can do is sweep upthe poos and put them in her litterbox until she gets snipped on the25th.

Hi Michelle,

I had been putting off litter training for our buns, because I was concerned that it would be difficult.

Now I wish I had done it a lot sooner.

On Sunday we bought corner pans for 3 of our buns. We put some WoodyPetin them and then took some of the soiled litter from their cage pansand put it in their litter pans. It worked like a charm.

Now to train the other 3.

:~) Jim

Well, bo has always known what the box isfor. He uses it primarily. He's gotten VERY goodabout poos recently, but now he's randomly peeing here and there whenhe's out playing.

I am going to work on confining him to a smaller area until he "gets the message."

I put the poos or a wet kleenex in his box but he knows.

You can encourage with hay or pellets mixed in, but I found that confused Bo cause he didn't want to pee where he ate.

Orions_girl16 wrote:
...so then he goes on the other side of the cage in acorner..Its funny but at the same time its like "WHY WONT YOU USEIT?!!" Lol....
Put more than one litter box in the cage. If it's a largecage, four corner litter boxes if need be, one in each corner until hegets the idea.

I've had to use more than one box on occasion, but haven't yet had toresort to more than that, but, hey, you do what you have todo. Beats wiping up urine or changing urine soaked paper.

Buck

P.S. All the previous posts were well advised IMHO, by the way.

HE DID IT!!! YAYS FOR GUS! Lol:D...Hes now usingthe litterbox and has been for a couple days now!! Hes using Hollyslitterbox since its big enough for em both but i still have the otherone in the other back corner..and they each pickeda corner inthe litterbox and go and ive caught him several times!!I had the 2litterboxes in the back corners and had their food bowl and a toy inone corner where he was constantly going and i got that reallycleanedupand then theres the "door" to the cagethat was a corner that he never uses and never has..So now no moreclean up its so nice!! Thanks for all your help you guys!!:)
Take care!
Michelle

Latest posts

Back