Litter box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormybun

Reaction score
Any tips on litter training? My bunny was pretty good at using her litter box in the beginning, but now she keeps pooping everywhere. She’s pretty good about peeing in the litter box, though. I feel like I’m doing everything I know to redirect her to her litter box.

Whenever I notice a pellet outside the litter box, I immediately toss it in, and anytime she tries to pee on the floor, I push her to go in the litter box. I also clean the area immediately.

I try to keep her box as clean as I can and fully dump it every other day.

Thank you in advance!

Is she spayed?

For some rabbits it can be counter-productive to keep the litter box too clean. She needs to be able to smell the box and know that that is where she should go.

A rabbit should be able to have 100% of all urine going in the litter box. If she isn't getting 100% of urine in the box, she isn't considered litter trained. Poos are secondary and it is the rare rabbit that is 100% with poos.

How is the litter box set up? What is used for litter? With the right setup, you should only need to dump the box once per week. By the end of the week, there should still be no noticeable odor (for humans). [Of course you'll surely smell it while it is being dumped!]

Is she spayed?

For some rabbits it can be counter-productive to keep the litter box too clean. She needs to be able to smell the box and know that that is where she should go.

A rabbit should be able to have 100% of all urine going in the litter box. If she isn't getting 100% of urine in the box, she isn't considered litter trained. Poos are secondary and it is the rare rabbit that is 100% with poos.

How is the litter box set up? What is used for litter? With the right setup, you should only need to dump the box once per week. By the end of the week, there should still be no noticeable odor (for humans). [Of course you'll surely smell it while it is being dumped!]
She isn’t spayed!

I’ll start changing it all out once a week, then. In the beginning, I saw a litter training video that said to clean it every other day, so that’s just what I’ve been doing! She typically is 100% with peeing in the box. The only times she messes up is if she strays far from her litter box to a new place.
She uses small pets select paper pellet bedding. (It’s the only bedding I could find that wouldn’t stick to her fur.)
This is her current litter box setup. I keep her box in the corner near her bowls.

Attachments

• 0DB5E0FC-EE85-4017-9C53-5B316D70AFA4.jpeg
    0DB5E0FC-EE85-4017-9C53-5B316D70AFA4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • F21CFC14-CD7C-46BA-9817-2B509C1E4411.jpeg
    F21CFC14-CD7C-46BA-9817-2B509C1E4411.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
The litter you're using is similar in appearance to wood pellets (not shavings). What you have is fine but the wood pellets are far cheaper (about $7 for 40 lb).

No need for puppy pads. Take a look here for more details
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/odor-free-home.html
She isn’t spayed!

I’ll start changing it all out once a week, then. In the beginning, I saw a litter training video that said to clean it every other day, so that’s just what I’ve been doing! She typically is 100% with peeing in the box. The only times she messes up is if she strays far from her litter box to a new place.
She uses small pets select paper pellet bedding. (It’s the only bedding I could find that wouldn’t stick to her fur.)
This is her current litter box setup. I keep her box in the corner near her bowls.
Question, how do you store your hay if you buy a whole bale? Where you keep it, and etc..? Thank you in advance

Question, how do you store your hay if you buy a whole bale? Where you keep it, and etc..? Thank you in advance
I buy the small pets select 40lbs box, so I typically just store it in the box it came in and use a smaller container to store smaller amounts as I need throughout the week. The small bin fits in the closet, but it would also work to keep it in the corner if there’s space.

Here the smaller bin from Walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstay...Kitchen-Trash-Can-Gray/247492232?from=/search

Back