Litter Box Training New Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorxMatrix

Reaction score
I just got a new Dutch rabbit 2 month old and I have a litter box and newspapers set down and everything i scoop the poop into the littler box but he doesnt seem to get the hang of where to poop i have wood chip bedding in the litter box is that ok? also is it bad to let him free roam and pick him up because ive done both of those things already /:

You are allowed to pick him up, that's no problem. Free roaming is really only suited once your bunny is litter trained. When they have more space, it can be harder for them to learn to litter train. So it's better to start with them just in their cage, or with a small playpen around around it, and once his litter habits improved, then you can increase the size of the area he has access to. If he continues to have good habits you can increase the area more until he's free-ranging again. If he starts having bad litter habits, you can decrease the size of the area again to help him get it right.

Keep in mind that a litter-trained rabbit should do all pees in the litter box, but will probably only do 90% of poops in it. Few rabbits have perfect pooping habits, and when they are new to a home, they will often poop around the place more because it's a way they use to mark their territory. This could be one reason he still poops everywhere. For your litter box, you can have newspaper in the bottom, but it's good to have a layer of litter to absorb the pee, either newspaper pellets, wood pellets, or carefresh type bedding. Wood chip bedding may not be suitable depending on what kind of wood it is, and depending on your bunny he may be reluctant to use it if it's too hard on his feet. Do you also have hay in or over your litter box? Rabbits like to poop and eat hay at the same time. So putting hay at one end of your litter box is a good way to encourage it's use as well. Make sure you don't have bedding elsewhere in the cage, as that may confuse your rabbit as to where to go.

yes i have hay in there! im just confused on how to make him start poop and peeing in there. i always move the poop in the litter box is that what you do?? and would it be bad if i changed the litter to actual litter pellets and like went out and bought them ? or would he get confused about the change?

Cool, with young rabbits it can take a little bit for them to catch on, so give him time. Yes, picking up the poop and putting it in the box is the right thing to do, you should also wipe up pee with a paper towel and put the paper towel in the litter box as well. Changing the litter shouldn't be too confusing since he isn't trained yet, what you can do if you change is a blend of half the old litter, and half the new and make sure you keep some poops and a little bit of soiled litter in the box to help him realise it's still the place to go.

Back