Litter box system questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JarJar Binks

Reaction score
My bunnies have a nice little cat box located in a proven corner, with hay to munch on. They even hop in there to pee most of the time (Only *two* accidents this week) but they scattercoco puffs around. I have been informed that this a form of marking their territory, as they are unspayed. I am trying to convince my mom to take them in for it but that is another matter. (May inquire about this further at a later time)

I use Feline Pine (Tried many many different things)for their box, which gets the job done but is slightly expensive, so as a result I cant change/use as much of it (Twice a week)which causes the room to have a very slight aroma. Is feline pine the same stuff as thesemythical stove pellets? I have heard good things about them such as a low price. I'll have to check if Home- Depot has them. Any more relevant info?

One last thing. I have also heard of people using screens on top of the litter for easy poo removal. Do they work with the pelleted litters? Do they get icky with pee? Could somebody please provide me with information on them?

Thanks in advance. I have browsed the library finding some answers to my queries, but as a new slave I still have my questions. (And I do hope I posted this in the right section :coolness:)

Yup! Feline Pine = wood stove pellets = horse stall bedding pellets.

As for screens, I'm still trying to find the elusive fluorescent lighting "egg crate" that many members here use for their litter boxes. I believe it does stain with pee over time, but if vinegar and water can't clean it up, it's cheap enough to replace.

And as for spaying, there are several reasons we encourage it here on the forums: First and foremost are the behavioural benefits. Spayed rabbits are better with their litter box, better with territorial behaviours, and can be bonded. Second, many unspayed rabbits develop uterine cancers which can considerably shorten their lives. Third, spayed rabbits can never contribute to the pet overpopulation problem. Even though you've got two females, there's always a chance if they come in contact with a male, they'll get pregnant. And bunnies can get pregnant at any time and in just a few seconds. And lastly, should you ever find yourself in the unfortunate circumstance, spayed rabbits are more easy to rehome than unspayed rabbits.

Hope that helps!

Rue

For the wood stove pellets, make sure there is nothing added. Some brands may add an accelerant to help them burn and these are not good for rabbits. Most are just the wood pellets, but check to make sure.

I use plastic stitching screens with a wire mesh over top (my bunnies chew the screen). I just scrub it on a weekly basis when I scrub the litter box out and that gets rid of any stains. I also use white vinegar which also helps. They can get kind of icky with pee, but I have found they come clean really easily. Having enough litter to soak up the pee does help. Mostly if you keep up with the cleaning is does not become an issue.

Rocky lost his manhood (lol) about 6 months ago and he still spreads those lovely little coco puffs everywhere. Just not as badly i guess and them and his little wizzies dont smell as much.

I think rocky just got into a bad habbit of pooping everywhere before his surgery and just still does it out of habit, so if you are going to get it done i think sooner rather than later :)

Latest posts

Back