Litter Box Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnymom,K

Reaction score
For those of you whose bunnies use a litter box, do they poop in it also or just pee? How long did it take for them to start pooping in it?

Ok, in another thread I posted a pic of the bunny pen we made over the weekend, and I know it takes time and our angoras are just babies, but I was wondering how long it usually takes for bunnies to start doing most of their poops in the litter box- if they do.

The most reliable rabbits are generally those who are spayed and neutered.

These babies probably just don't have the control for holding their poos yet. Be patient with them and consistent and reliable in terms of moving the poos to the litter tray.

Things will probably get worse when they hit adolescence, but hopefully when spayed/neutered you should be able to get some solid training in place.

What do you use for the litter tray? what do you have in it?

I bought two of the high backed litter trays that have the wire grate on the top so they don't step into litter- I put some of the soiled wood litter from the old cage into the bottom of them. They started to pee in them right away and are good about that. They poop in them sometimes, but not very often. I make sure there is always some poop and urine in the tray so they will know where to go.

Most of these babies will not be spayed or neutered. Does that make a big difference in litter training? The two boys will not be staying in the bunny pen long term- it's just for the girls.

A fully intact bunny will generally feel the need to use their poos to mark their territory, so you may find that they are never properly litter trained.

also, generally rabbits like to eat hay whilst going to the toilet. I understand that maybe having it underfoot is not great for them, but I wonder if you could work out a way to fix some sort of hanging basket full of hay up for them right near their ltiter tray so they can eat and poo at the same time.

You've got the worst bit sorted (although that may go if they start to spray, yes, girls can spray as well as boys) which is good. Most rabbits will never been 100% reliable though and may have stray poos even when fully trained.

My rabbit is litter-trained, she took to it immediately. She pees in it, she does poop in it, but she does also leave one small pile of poops in a separate corner, and she leaves a few single ones here and there.

I take care of maybe..10 poops total each day, so it's really not much.

I have hanging hay baskets, I never thought of hanging them above the litter trays. lol. I'll do that tonight.
I don't mind stray poos. Our bunnies that live in the outdoor hutches live in cages in the house most of the winter and each one gets free run time in the living room and they all leave a poop here or there. It's not like dog or cat poop if you know what I mean. I just don't want tons of little poops all over the floor of the bunny pen where their wool is going to pick it up.

Bunnymom,K wrote:
I bought two of the high backed litter trays that have the wire grate on the top so they don't step into litter- I put some of the soiled wood litter from the old cage into the bottom of them. They started to pee in them right away and are good about that. They poop in them sometimes, but not very often. I make sure there is always some poop and urine in the tray so they will know where to go.

Most of these babies will not be spayed or neutered. Does that make a big difference in litter training? The two boys will not be staying in the bunny pen long term- it's just for the girls.
Um..if you only want each of them for a maximum of 5 years, you should probably neuter them all. The percentage for female rabbits developing uterine cancer is 86% between the ages of 4 - 6 years old.

FlickeringHope wrote:
Bunnymom,K wrote:

Um..if you only want each of them for a maximum of 5 years, you should probably neuter them all. The percentage for female rabbits developing uterine cancer is 86% between the ages of 4 - 6 years old.

I am aware of the statistics, thank you for your concern.

My babies are 3 months and they pee all the time in the litter boxes, but they still leave poo's here and there. The male is worse than the female. I hope to get him neutered soon and I'm hoping it might help. Think it may be cause their still young.

As soon as I started putting Bayou's hay in the litter box, he pretty much stopped pooping outside of the box. :?

I just put his food bowl and hay in the part of the litter box he doesn't use.

Bean always pees in the litterbox, sometimes he goes outside of it because he is not neutered, but on the other hand I do not find many outside of the cage when he is out. He usually waits to use his litter box.

BeanBunny23 wrote:
Bean always pees in the litterbox, sometimes he goes outside of it because he is not neutered, but on the other hand I do not find many outside of the cage when he is out. He usually waits to use his litter box.
When Sassy was alive, I wouldleave the door to the NIC cage open when she ran the living room. And when she needed to go potty she'd go into the cage, then come back out when she was done. She was great!! :) ...April

Latest posts

Back