litter box modifications

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylove817

Reaction score
Midas has a cheapo cat litter box as his. I would like to put some kind of grating on top of it so he doesnt actually sit in the litterbox. I have seen some awesome pictures in the forums, but have no idea how to do it. And all the ones you can buy are to small... he likes to sit in the litterbox to do his business! Any suggestions?

With my litter box, (it was designed for a cat), I got wire with the litter box. The wire was like the bard off of a cage.
The wird attached to each side, so the dropping and pee would just fall into the litter box making it easier to clean I suppose!

I didnt like the litterbox though so I threw it out, lol

Maybe talk to someone at your petshop about it?

Get Fluorescent Light Covers from Home Depot, in the lighting section. They are plastic grids with half inch square holes. You can cut them to the size you want with pliers. Some people put small wood blocks or something else in the corners of the litterbox to hold it up, but I just set it on top of the litter and it works fine.

i actually just got like a small cookie cooling rack and placed it in there..im sure there are some that may fit in there...it works great and its simple to wipe down..

We use the light grating and crazy glue feet to the bottom to hold it up off the litter..helps keep the hay clean and dry too.

100_1912.jpg

Danielle

We have 10 litterboxes and I can't stand having to pick hay up off the floor all the time!
Making our litterboxes like this has saved us tons of time...and lots of money on hay and litter! For a full sized litterbox like the one in the pic it takes about 3-4 cups of litter...literally a single layer across the bottom of the box and that is all! You scoop the wet sawdust and put a bit more litter in every otherday and no smell, no mess!

I hate white bunnies with yellow feet! So this helps to keep keep white feet white and keeps fuzzie bunnies from getting hay all tangled in their fur too! And it lets me spend more time playing than cleaning litterboxes!:)

Danielle

Danielle- that is awesome! I ran by home depot and found the grating, the only thing is it is only sold in 2' by 4' sheets. How did you cut it down? Could I use a drimmel? I'm scared I would break it!

Also, your hay rack is awesome. How did you cut the squares out of the grid?

BunnyLove-
For the grating get a pair of wire clippers and just clip out the size/shape you need!
You may need to go back at the end with the dremel and smooth any rough plastic pieces that coud pinch or cut your bunn!

For the hay bin I used my dremel with a fiberglass reinforced cutting wheel to cut out the section I wanted and then ground any rough parts down so the bunns can't get cut and then a light coat of acrylic paint to seal the cut wire or it rusts!

Danielle:)

Runestonez wrote:
We have 10 litterboxes and I can't stand having to pick hay up off the floor all the time!
Making our litterboxes like this has saved us tons of time...and lots of money on hay and litter! For a full sized litterbox like the one in the pic it takes about 3-4 cups of litter...literally a single layer across the bottom of the box and that is all! You scoop the wet sawdust and put a bit more litter in every otherday and no smell, no mess!

I hate white bunnies with yellow feet! So this helps to keep keep white feet white and keeps fuzzie bunnies from getting hay all tangled in their fur too! And it lets me spend more time playing than cleaning litterboxes!:)

Danielle

I have this litter box that she hade me. I love it I had to add a second litter box to storm thing and forgot how dirty his feet got with the normal litter box. I love it

I just FINALLY finished a new thread under cages and construction on how to build our hay bin and litterboxes for anyone who is interested! (with Pics)

Danielle:)

Latest posts

Back