Litter Box Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaK

Reaction score
I need ideas of what to use in the litter box.

I was using Yesterday's News. It works well and I like it. But I can't find the giant bags locally, so it's really expensive.

Then I tried shredded paper. But that just traps the urine smell :lipsrsealed: and is really nasty. And I have to change it daily (really it could be changed twice a day...)

Any great suggestions?

I love wood pellets. They are basically compressed saw dust and are in a pellet form. A 40 pound bag costs about $5-8. It is very absorbent of other liquid and odour. You can find them are farm/feed stores as horse stall bedding or at a hardware store as wood stove pellets (make sure nothing is added though).

A quick google search brought up Nation's Choice. Any idea if that's bunny-safe or if it has additives?

Not sure, I have never come across that brand. I would recommend going to a store and seeing what they have there. The bag should say if anything is added. The store I usually go to might have 2 different brands over the winter, so even that isn't too reliable for a specific brand.

I currently use aspen bedding. That seems to work pretty well for me. And it lasts me forever. Even with cleaning out both rabbit boxes and the ferret cage twice a week. Usually I use Yesterday's News or Feline Pine though.

We use Eco Bedding, no perfumed. It's recycled paper that's boiled, washed and pressed. Disinfected and then packaged. It does really well at absorbing the urine. But also we use Apple Cider Vinegar in our bunnies water. This helps cut back on the odor of the urine. We had to do something because our bunnies live inside. And they drink water by the gallons, I repeat, gallons. Our bunnies love water and that means more urine.

K:)

Latest posts

Back